This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD writing every 5 seconds. Why??

I have checked and made sure all the logging info I can find is off, and the logs verify that other than start up they are running only once in a while. According to xosview a little tiny amount of info is being written about every 5seconds. I have tried using top or ksysguard to figure out what is writing and why, but I am still not sure. I don't recall ths happening before I upgraded to breezy, and I can't seem to find anything that all the helpful people have had me try to stop this from happening. I simply can't figure out what to look at to allow the drive to idle when nothing is going on. I have even tried a brand new install on a different drive and the same thing happens. If I knew what was writing and why it probably wouldn't bother me as much, but I can't seem to find any reason for the drive to be active every 5 seconds when the computer is idle.

Short of starting to kill off processes one at a time to see if there are any changes I have run out of ideas. I know this is quite vague but I just haven't found any reason why something would have to write to the drive so frequently, and it even does this with only the boot up programs running.

Any ideas where to look at?

Re: HD writing every 5 seconds. Why??

Are you running this on a laptop? If so, install the laptop thingies and that should fix 'er up...

Comment

Found what it was, it is kbluetooth, now I just need to figure out how to permanently shut it down since I really have no need for it.

Comment

There's probably more elegant ways to do this, but I like it down and dirty and all freaky deeky like.  So here's how I pulled those blueteeth from my KDE head awhile back (along with other services)...

1. stop that bluetooth system level service from starting by
        Code:
        /etc/init.d/bluez-utils stop
        ...and make it permanently upon each reboot (many ways to do that)

2. and check this file here (kbluetoothdrc):
        Code:
        [email]skoal@morpheus://~/.kde[/email]/share/config $ cat kbluetoothdrc
        [General]
        AutoStart=false
        ...and make that change to 'false' as I did above.

...and enjoy your new sparkly white teeth!

Comment

And if you prefer graphical editing:

You can edit running services with systemsettings|System Services

There's a service called 'bluez-utils' just untick the box 'Start During Boot' for run levels you don't need bluetooth in (2-5, if you use different run levels)...the default run level in kubuntu is 2 if I remember correctly, it varies a bit by distribution.

You can use this control module to view/stop/start other services too, use caution when making changes though

Comment

Working...
          X