What IS dell up to?

This could turn out to be interesting:
    http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12365/1090/1/1/

Time will definitely tell
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: What IS dell up to?

I hope that the ITwire is being pessimistic about Dell's new program. Personally, I have been a Dell customer for many years, primarily because I appreciate their 24 hour technical support, (If you pay a premium price, you can even get support from native speakers of English) and next business day on site service. After a few years of poor performance, their service has almost returned to the level of twenty years ago. The last two times that I have contacted them, (a bad disk drive on a three year old box, and a case of infant mortality on my new desktop). The tech support people I spoke to had actually tried Linux! In one case, Suse and in the other Mandriva. They were both interested in trying Kubuntu. This is an ENORMOUS contrast to the attitude that was prevalent at Dell a few years ago, when the word Linux would get an automatic "We only support Windows!".

That said, however, Dell has made two previous, no more than half-hearted, ill-conceived attempts to develop a Linux market; one in conjunction with Red Hat and the other by providing desktops with no operating system at all. In both cases, they gave up without even trying to analyze why they had failed; basically by provided limited choices and obsolescent systems. If this is a repeat performance, I will continue to buy standard Dell windoze boxes and then over write the OS with Linux.

Comment

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Same here about being a Dell customer. I'm actually hoping that their attempt this time hits the target.

Comment

Yeah, I want to be optimistic too. I've never been a Dell customer, but I'm considering them the next time I need to purchase a computer. Of course, I would get Ubuntu...or better yet Kubuntu, if they are still offering it.
        I probably won't need to buy a computer for a couple more years; Linux really enables one to squeak every last ounce of utility out of a machine.

Comment

I agree about the
          squeak every last ounce of utility out of a machine
          portion. I have an old Dell Inspiron 3800 Celeron that has Feisty on it, and it runs a lot better than with XP!

Comment

I have Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 running on a XPS 400, everything worked except for the modem.
            Dell is a great company regardless on some people's opinion.
            They are customer focused, i know since I used to work for them.
            I hope that effort turns into a successful one and that's my humble opinion.

MepisReign
            Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

I agree

Comment

Working...
              X