This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Content Filtering Options

I am interested in doing content filtering on my computer, running Feisty. I have found general articles on filtering with Linux. However, I would like to find a "manual/tutorial" on filtering that works with Kubuntu. The last I found had commands that don't exist in Kubuntu. I am also looking for recommendations on what works, if you don't know of an instructional page.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Web Content Filtering Options

I'd suggest using google/linux to look up "content filtering". I found thousands of references, including this one from Linux Journal using DansGuardian and Tinyproxy on Ubuntu. Both packages are in the repositories.

Comment

Re: Web Content Filtering Options

Some examples...

#1 use hosts file.
      More at Hosts file
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

The hosts file is generally named “hosts”, and its location varies with the type of operating system in use.
      The hosts file has alternative uses, including filtering ads (by having entries for known ad-servers redirect to machines without the advertising on them). This can save network bandwidth, as well, by eliminating a request to the DNS server normally used for obtaining address information, as well as by not downloading the advertisements. However, if the hosts file is to be used for this purpose, it must be kept up-to-date with lists of Internet servers known to host such content.
      In linux (kubuntu) hosts file is in the /etc folder. Text file - backup before you edit it.
      Net is full of ready hosts lists. One example:
      http://everythingisnt.com/hosts

#2 Privoxy
      man privoxy:
      DESCRIPTION
      Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for pro‐
      tecting privacy, modifying web page content, managing cookies, control‐
      ling access, and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other obnoxious
      Internet junk. Privoxy has a very flexible configuration and can be
      customized to suit individual needs and tastes. Privoxy has application
      for both stand-alone systems and multi-user networks.

Privoxy is based on Internet Junkbuster (tm).

#3 If you are using Firefox - Extensions:
      Adblock
      Adblock allows the user to specify filters, which remove unwanted content based on the source-address.

Flashblock
      Flashblock is an extension for the Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape browsers that takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.

Greasemonkey
      Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows you to customize the way webpages look and function.

and so on...
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
      X