This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell announcement and Kubuntu

Given that Kubuntu and Ubuntu are so closely related in terms of kernel / drivers etc., do you think there will be any issue loading and running Kubuntu on whatever machines Dell designates as Ubuntu systems? Or that they might even include it as an alternative choice? In some ways it doesn't matter as you could buy with Ubuntu and just install the KDE desktop but it would be nice to have the same stability and support...

Re: Dell announcement and Kubuntu

Only time will tell, but I suspect that from Dell's perspective (and,for that matter, from Canonical's support perspective), there will be little if any difference between (K)((X)(ED)and ()Ubuntu. Most problems will be software related and they will simply tell you to purchase a software support contract from Canonical or go to the Community Help Wiki or this forum where previously they would have referred you to M$ non-support.

Even now (as distinct from a few years ago) when you call Dell's expensive (as distinct from regular) support number with a hardware problem and explain that you use Kubuntu Linux and not windoze, they're willing to tell what they want you to accomplish to distinguish between a real (under warranty) HW problem and an (unsupported) SW problem instead of simply saying something along the lines of "You must run our diagnostic software with windoze". In fact, I've had Dell Tech Support guys say things like "I use Slackware, how do you like Kubuntu?"

Comment

Working...
    X