This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 17 in GRUB

Ok i installed kubuntu after i had windows, i had to unplug a HDD to power up dvd drive to install kubuntu, after installation i plugged HDD back in and i get an error 17 (
    grub Error 17
    17 : Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
    filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
    )
    from grub and it wont let me go any further. if i unplug that HDD i have no problems booting.

I have 5 HDD's only 1 for linux the other 4 are for windows (NTFS) i cant see y this one HDD is causing a problem when the other 3 NTFS drives have no problem with grub.

Any suggestions on what to do ?

Re: Error 17 in GRUB

Hi,

It's because when you're plugging the drive in, it changes number of the driver where linux is installed, so it can't find the partition to boot.
    You should check the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and find the lines with root hd(?,?) and then change it to the appropriate value with the latest drive in...

Good luck

Comment

but if the harddrive i add is last on boot priority i dont see how thats going to affect anything as linux is on hd1,0 and windows on hd0,0

Comment

i got it all working by instlling grub onto the linux drive through a live cd and then reordering the bios boot priorities

Comment

Working...
        X