This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apt-Get

I am a newbie to Kubuntu. I installed Feisty Fawn a few days ago. I am extremely happy with it. I originally was able to use Adept Manager to get new packages and updates. I was also able to use synaptic package manager. For some reason last night it stopped working. When i hit the reload or update to update the repositories it gets to 99% and stops. I tried doing it manually through the console window and this is what i get.

sudo apt-get update
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily un available)
    E: Unable to lock the list directory

Also when i go to install an update it just sits at 0% for waiting for headers. It does this with any package manager I try to use.

This is really confusing to me because it was working and I havent changed anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Apt-Get

This problem happened to me a few times also It maybe that a server is down or being updated. Try going into Adept and then Manage Repositories, here you can change the server you connect to, try changing to a server as close to you as possible. This worked for me, hope it helps

Comment

Sometimes a server for the repositories gets real busy -- you don't want too move to quick when it appears "hung" at 99%. Sometimes 5 minutes later it suddenly finishes.

However, if you're confident that something is messed up with your package manager, here is the sequence that I use to get things straightened out:

Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      sudo apt-get autoclean
      sudo apt-get autoremove
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install
      See if this helps.

Comment

Also, the file mentioned in the error message may have been left behind during a previous session of apt/synaptic/adept(which does seem to happen on occasion)

/var/lib/apt/lists/lock is a file that prevents another package manager from running the same time as another. So if one crashed, or didn't exit cleanly, the file may have been left behind (or possibly the app is still running) so try deleting the file:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

After closing any open package managers.

Then try updating again

Comment

Dible, Your solution worked great!!! Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Cool -- glad it worked for you. 8)

Comment

Working...
            X