X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox (Resolved thanks)

Hi Everyone.

I've just updated to Feisty Fawn with no problems apparently apart from one little niggle.

The latest Firefox does not update automatically which is noted in their 'known problems' list:

Software Update will not work if Firefox is installed to a location on your disk to which you do not have write access, since Software Update needs to replace or create files in this location.

Prior to this I have never had a problem and I'm not really bothered by having to update manually. However as I am on a (Linux) learning curve I wonder if anyone can offer some advice on this?

I've looked at where Firefox is hiding and it is in /usr/ .... and 'read-only'.

Is this the correct location and if not how easy is it to move and to where?

Last question I assume I would have to edit a file somewhere to get the start-up to look in the right place any tips welcome.

Out of interest this release Feisty Fawn (I've only used Edgy before) is fast!
    (AMD 64).

Thanks.

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Firefox

Usually, in linux, apps don't update themselves, updating things is the job of the package manager.

So, firefox unable to update is a normal behavior.

Javier.

Comment

Re: Firefox

Oh many thanks for that. I had completely overlooked 'Adept'.

Regards

Paul.
      Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
      GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
      Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Re: Firefox (Resolved thanks)

Yes, it is true, Adept is supposed to update the apps, but, sometimes it takes time to update the repositories (just check Thunderbird), so, just run Firefox as super user on the command line (sudo firefox), or press Alt+F2 and type:

kdesu firefox

to run as another user.

It work great for me.

PS: Just a warning. DO NOT use apps this way. This gives the apps writing mode to directories that you SHOULDN'T modify. You can kill your kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X