Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Integrating files and emails from same person.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integrating files and emails from same person.

Hi there. I am wondering what solutions people have found, and what are on offer in KDE, for integrating emails from particular people or companies with files associated with them. At the moment I simply have separate systems: a folder for the emails (using kmail) and folders in my normal filesystem that contain photographs, documents, etc. Is there any way to integrate these conveniently? For example some program that can offer a consolidation function, where you click into one icon/folder and from there can access relevant files and emails?

With thanks for any ideas

Will

Re: Integrating files and emails from same person.

You might try a new program called Basket, I am just trying it out, it ;looks to be a way to group all sorts of things, from images, text, files, links, etc
    http://basket.kde.org/
    though unless you run feisty, the version is rather old, and I just noticed that it crashes Kontact/kmail but a bugfix release in feisty is in the works

I don't yet know how much it integrates with the desktop, but it does look like you can at least add/drag various items into each 'basket' Also, I believe you can simply drag individual emals and address book entries to a folder, and they should open in kmail/kaddressbook

Comment

Re: Integrating files and emails from same person.

Hi Claydoh

Thanks for that suggestion. I had not heard of BasKet. It may well do some of what I want. I just find it surprising somehow that the folders in email clients including kmail do not integrate with the general filesystem very naturally. TiddlyWiki (www.tiddlywiki.com) is one potential way of organising everything, as is FreeMind (http://freemind.sourceforge.net) - a Mind Mapping application. I think for me the crucial question is "How, if at all, is it possible to access the folder of an email client, specifically kmail, with one click, from anywhere you can put a link?"

Very keen to hear other people's ideas and/or experience too.

With thanks again, Will

Comment

Working...
      X