This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do dvd readers become zone free with kubuntu

OK, I know I could just download a zonefree crack for XP dvd drives, but with kubuntu would I avoid this problem altogether or are dvd drives zone sensitive even in kubuntu,

also if I want to build a system with multi racks of DVD burners, could I copy more than one DVD at a time with kubuntu,

in fact this only out of interest that I ask because, but I am building a list of sales points for this system, and these above two would be big I think
    every day is a gift

Re: do dvd readers become zone free with kubuntu

DVD drives are sensitive to region restrictions in Kubuntu, but there are workarounds. Please take a look at this Ubuntu Wiki page. As to your second question, you have two separate problems. The first is that you would need a re-entrant version of the burning code to run multiple burners simultaneously. I'm not sure that the available DVD burning software was written that way (although it should have been). The second problem is that DVD burning under Linux has some problems because of proprietary encryption schemes. See this wiki page.

Comment

thanks, makes good reading, and yes I should have made if two seperate threads.
      every day is a gift

Comment

there are region restrictions in linux? :-P live and learn......

cheers

Comment

there are region restrictions in linux?
          Not exactly, There are region restrictions in dvd hardware. Or, at least, that's how I interpret the comments in the Ubuntu Wiki.

Comment

sorry if my post was unclear, I repeat that with DVD players under XP one is often stuck with being allowed to change zones(zone 1 to zone 2)about five times, then the DVD player fixes to that zone forever. I know that one can just under XP a zone free crack, but I was wondering if the driver for linux came with this same restriction and if so is there the same crack under linux.

The above is not an actual computer I have in front of me just, it is just a question in itself and I am asking out of interest.
            every day is a gift

Comment

I asked in a semi-joking manner snice ive had to change regions on xp, with something like regionkiller, but linux never asked....im sure regional encryption might be a cause for some dvds being problematic tho........and would love to know a bit more about it myself.....

cheers

Comment

Working...
              X