This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does it delete windows?

ok im lookin at kubuntu and unbuntu right now and they both look cool but im wondering will any of these operating systems get rid of my windows xp when i download it or will i get xp back when i reboot or something because i dont want to get rid of xp just incase anything happens and i dont have a disc to reinstall windows xp. if no one can give me direct answer then i guess ill download it on a computer that isnt really used but id rather not waste time doing that so can some one plz respond to this

Re: does it delete windows?

Simply downloading Kubuntu or Ubuntu will not do anything to your current installation. A download is just a file--albeit a large file (roughly 700 MB).

Even after you download and burn the downloaded ISO properly, it is still just a burned CD. A burned CD does nothing to your current installation.

Once you put the CD in your drive--assuming you downloaded the Desktop CD (and not the Alternate CD or Server CD)--and have set your BIOS to boot from CD, you will get a "live" Ubuntu or Kubuntu session running completely off the CD itself and your computer's RAM. The hard drive will still be unaffected.

Only at the point that you decide to click the Install button will anything be done to your current installation. At that point, you can choose to completely erase XP (in which case, yes, XP will be gone), or to resize XP and make a dual-boot with Ubuntu or Kubuntu (in which case, XP will still be there but on a smaller partition).

If you select the last option (resize XP and set up a dual boot), there is a small possibility of data loss, so backing up your installation is crucial before doing any installing or resizing. I'd estimate the chances of data loss are:1

0% if you have backed up everything
    1% if you haven't backed up everything and you know what you're doing
    20% if you haven't backed up everything and you don't know what you're doing
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

when u said

"Only at the point that you decide to click the Install button will anything be done to your current installation. At that point, you can choose to completely erase XP (in which case, yes, XP will be gone), or to resize XP and make a dual-boot with Ubuntu or Kubuntu (in which case, XP will still be there but on a smaller partition)."

does that mean that it deletes sum win xp parts or wil it still be fully there plz explain

edit: also what would u do if u wanted to delete linux. is there an option in the program

Comment

It means you can do whatever you want.

You can leave Windows alone completely (not install anything)
        You can install Kubuntu in place of Windows (erase Windows, essentially)
        Or you can install Kubuntu next to Windows (keep Windows and choose Kubuntu or Windows at boot-up)

You don't delete some parts of Windows. Windows is either there or it isn't. You do, however, if you set up a dual-boot, need to resize the Windows partition to make room to install Kubuntu next to Windows.

Read the link I posted before--it has screenshots of the entire process.

And, no, there's not an option to delete Linux. If you want to do that, you need a Windows CD. Microsoft has some instructions for that:
        How to Remove Linux and Install Windows on Your Computer

But, as I said before, you can try Ubuntu or Kubuntu without actually installing it. The Desktop CD will run a live session of a fully operational Ubuntu or Kubuntu from the CD and your computer's RAM. It will not affect your hard drive or Windows installation in any way. It is completely temporary but fully functional. When you reboot without the CD, you'll be back into Windows again.

Click the link I posted before for more details.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

keep in miind too that many computer outlets, at least where i am, sell windows loaded onto four partition harddrives ( for no apparent reason) and some may havethe empy parttions which wont even require resizing the operative xp partitions.......(usually C Linux was easy for me, since all I had to do was NOT install linux on the C: drive and use other partitions, such as D for other distros.

Plus, so long as you dont delete and install over a win partition, the ubuntu installer will find your windows and ask if you want to use grub to boot either it or your linux.......

never lost an xp partition to linux ( as in wiped unintnentionally or destroyed it) if i read some docs, and looked into my system before making the plunge.

Know your partition table, and look into the docs above should you need to resize a win partiton....theres plenty of tools......and dont forget to defrag before hand....

good luck

Comment

Working...
          X