This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation help [s]kubuntu packages[/s]

Hello, i want to install kubuntu but before i start i want to ask a few things.
    First of all, im really really new to Linux so i might not understand all the technical details.
    But my question regards the packages that kubuntu installs...
    I once installed Slackware and that was 3 cds big and i could choose what packages i wanted to install like gcc, perl and all sorts of others.

But i dont think these come standard with Kubuntu right?
    So after the install, what do i have to do to install packages like that? And where can i find them?

Thanks for any help.

Re: kubuntu packages

Maybe this helps:

Installing Software in Ubuntu (and in kubuntu)
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    http://www.monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: kubuntu packages

Thanks for the links, ill check them out as soon as the installation is complete. But im kinda having problems with the installation.

I clicked on the install icon on the desktop, im at the part where i have to select a disk but it kinda hangs there...
      I see the cursur spinning but nothing has happend for the last 5 minutes... What can i do about this..??

Comment

Re: Installation help kubuntu packages

Sorry for the delay in responding to your message. In general (but not always), problems with Kubuntu installation turn out to be a result of bad download or a bad burn of the resulting iso file to disk. So, please check the following things:
        (1) check the md5 sum of the iso file that you downloaded against the md5 that listed on the download site. You can learn how to do that on this Ubuntu Help Wiki page.

(2) Make sure that you burn the iso properly. You can find the correct commands on this wiki page.

(3) Check the resulting CDROM against the file of individual md5sums that are listed on the CD itself. (See the first wiki page I referenced).

(4) If all the tests indicate that you've got a good download and a good burn, we can explore other possibilities. For example, if your computer is a very new Dell with an AMD processor update your BIOS in Fizzta before proceeding further. (3 guesses how I learned about THAT one!).

Comment

Working...
        X