Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install OpenOffice from WinXP because of dialup.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install OpenOffice from WinXP because of dialup.

My situation is this; I have dialup at home which makes large updates and installing huge programs like OpenOffice next to impossible. I do have access to highspeed at work, but it's a WinXP machine.

What is the best way if any to download OpenOffice (or updates or other large programs) so I can transfer them from work to home and install there using (with all the dependancies) a USB Jump Drive?

Re: Install OpenOffice from WinXP because of dialup.

What you need is a program called "apt-zip". To quote from the description:
    These scripts simplify the process of using dselect and apt on a non-networked Debian box, using removable media like ZIP floppies and
    USB keys.

One generates a `fetch' script (supporting backends such as wget and lftp, in a modular, extensible way) to be run on a host with better connectivity, check space constraints of your removable media, and then install the package on your Debian box.
    Substitute "Kubuntu" for "Debian". Apt-zip is found in the Kubuntu "Universe" repositories. So, if you haven't done so already, you'll have to activate universe to get it.

Then, in order to run the script your apt-zip generates to fetch OpenOffice, you'll need to bring your Kubuntu Desktop CD to work. Run the script from the Live CD and it will store the required *.deb files on the thumb drive with no one the wiser (unless your boss monitors your internet usage). Take it home and install on your machine.

Comment

Working...
    X