This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malware in Linux?

Hi, just a quick couple of questions from a total Linux n00b...

I've been told that there are no viruses/trojans/spywares etc written for Linux. Is this true?

If so, how come AVG have got a Linux version of their free AV program - and should I be looking to install it?

Also, even if there are no viruses/trojans/spywares written for Linux I assume I still need to use a firewall to stop hackers etc from getting in?

I'm so sorry about the lame questions but everyone's got to start somewhere, right?

Thanks.

Re: Malware in Linux?

I'm nOOb as well, but this is my understanding of it. There are viruses and malware but MUCH less than is made to attack Windows and IE. The amount of damage that can be done is also very limited unless you do something dumb like run as root when you're on the net.

Comment

actually, the linux AV software is primarily used for scanning files for windows viruses. for example when running an email server etc.

Comment

Read this:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by calnerd
          I'm nOOb as well, but this is my understanding of it. There are viruses and malware but MUCH less than is made to attack Windows and IE. The amount of damage that can be done is also very limited unless you do something dumb like run as root when you're on the net.
          --this pretty much says it all.
          Crackers tend to go for the inexperienced user.
          For them, these are easy targets.
          That being said, Linux users tend to be more tech-savy than Windows users (typically).
          So they concentrate their time and their efforts on the sure kills... Windows users.
          Aside from the fact that Linux has so many security measures ensuring a safe, smooth Os...

Comment

Working...
          X