This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubunutu and Root

First, let me me say that I am thoroughly enjoying the Kubuntu experience. Everything works, and works as well as my old IBM T20 laptop will let it!! Conceptually, however, I have something that I can't quite shake.

One thing that has always bothered me about Kubuntu (and all the *ubuntu's for that matter), is the denial of root use - at least out of the box. I just went to the Kubuntu book and in the Sudo and Root chapter it states:

When you run an application that requires root privileges, sudo will ask you to input your normal user password. This ensures that rogue applications cannot damage your system, and serves as a reminder that you are about to perform administrative actions which require you to be careful!
    Now I know that full sudo access is generally set up only for the first "normal" user, and there is no separate password for root, by default. However, the implication that root access can cause rogue applications to run amok while the use of unmitigated sudo somehow prevents that, truly baffles me.

My normal user can run any root level app simply by being prompted for my normal password. Therefore, should anyone somehow obtain my normal user password, they could run anything at rppt level they so chose.

So, how does the use of sudo actually protect my system better than embracing root usage would protect it?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Re: Kubunutu and Root

This site gives a very good explanation.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

It is very well written, but doesn't explain how the default setup in Kubuntu of using sudo is more secure than switching to root.

Assume for a moment that I have a default Kubuntu installation with one normal user. That normal user has a strong password. I'll call this "A".

Now assume that I have another comparable KDE-based Linux installation with an active root user and a normal user. Both passwords are different, but are strong. I'll call this "B".

Given those assumptions, how is "A" better than "B"?
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490
        Given those assumptions, how is "A" better than "B"?
        In your example, it's not better in any very significant way, but it's not worse either.
        (If someone gets your (k)ubuntu admin account password or your root account password when root is enabled, the effects are generally the same)

The effects of sudo on security are indirect:
        1. Having to remember only one password, users should be more inclined to make a strong one.
        2. Locked root account discourages running the whole system as root (fairly common among win converts)
        3. Locked root account makes it less likely for an ignorant user to open up remote root logins, brute-force attacks are often against the root account.

If one is willing to create two strong passwords, one can easily setup sudo to ask for a different password than your normal password (so you can use a 'root password' for sudo if you like)

Security is not (to my knowledge) the main reason why it's used, even though it has indirect effects on security (some positive and some negative). It's mainly a usability feature on (k)ubuntu (although it's widely used on other systems/distributions as well).

Comment

If the passwords are all strong, A and B are equally secure.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo explains both the pros and cons of sudo instead of the traditional root/user model.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks one and all for your input.

Curiosity resolved 8)!!

Comment

Working...
            X