This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please as soon as possibl!

hi every body! i'm just installed kubuntu in my pc it's coool and i like it but i have some problems ans questions i wish u help me to fix them:
    • How to install programmes and packages?
    • i have a modem sagem 800 and i want use internet but i don't know what to do, i tryed to follow the instructions given in help file but i have a msg about gcc!? so what to do without internet?
    • how to chang kde to gnome or gnome to kde?

thanks please help me sooner

Re: Help please as soon as possibl!

Search search search! Lots of people have similar questions to you and have posted already, and had answers already. Searching is your friend.

Installing packages is done through Adept Manager: Find it under "System" in the KDE menu.

There are many ways of installing programs in Ubuntu / Linux:
    • Through the package manager, as described above. Recommended and by far the easiest
    • By searching for Debian/Ubuntu packages (.deb) online of the program you want. May not always work as it might need newer versions of other packages than you have.
    • From source - when you download a "tarball" (.tar.gz file) of the programming code for an application. This is the most difficult way; make sure you have the package build-essential installed (this will probably solve your GCC problem - but you'll encounter more) and be prepared to learn a lot, fast!

Hope that starts to answer some of your questions, and welcome to the free world

Comment

Edit : Sorry for posting in the same time, I was writing and JamesM did also... Anyway you can read the post if you want...

Hi,

- About the way to install programs and packages, you can use the "add/remove program" from the menu. I think apt-get will be too much command line for someone starting on linux.
      - For the modem, gcc is giving an error, because you should install build-essential from the cd to be able to do something. To install it :
      K Menu > Run command.
      Type in the pop up, konsole
      Type in the konsole :
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install build-essential
      Then when you will be asked, press Y and enter, and it should install everything needed, so you will be able to continue with the help you found.

- Finally, about gnome and kde, you will need to wait til you have network access to be able to download the good datas. When it will be done, open a konsole the same way I gave (or press <Alt>+<F2> to get the "run command" dialog open) then type in :
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
      Then when you will want to switch from kde to gnome or reverse, from the login screen, you will choose the good one from the session menu.

Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by msarsari
        How to install programmes and packages?
        You should probably read the basic documentation here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu...e/C/index.html

The chapter about installing sotware is here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu...lications.html

how to chang kde to gnome or gnome to kde?
        Gnome is not installed by deault in kubuntu. You should install the package named ubuntu-desktop. Afterwards you will be able to select gnome from the login screen, under sessions.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
        X