Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie (straight out of the box) how can I move files using graphical interface

Hi, I have JUST installed KUBUNTU as I am keen to learn about linux and like the kde desktop. I am a COMPLETE LINUX NEWBIE and am about to embark on setting up my speedtouch 330 modem (why I hear you cry... I know I know... but I have this modem and I cant afford a new router YET)
    ANYHOO... my questions are 1) as I am a complete linux muppet I will need to move files around using the graphical interface.... how do you do this using the sudo system as I try to move files to certain folders and I am prevented from doing so as I do not have the right priviledges!!!
    and 2) is there a definitive how to get online with KUBUNTU and the SPEEDTOUCH USB 330 modem? I understand KUBUNTU has everything but the microcode to run the SPEEDTOUCH 330... do I just have to copy the microcode to the relevant directory....?
    Thanks for your patience and help...
    CHEERS ALEX...........

Re: newbie (straight out of the box) how can I move files using graphical interface

Hi,

First of all welcome to linux Hope you will enjoy it as much as I do
    1) you should use "kdesu konqueror" from a run command, like this you will have access as root, but look out, you will be able to destroy the system also...
    2) your should read this wiki, I guess it can be useful https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Us...dem/SpeedTouch

Cheers

Comment

Re: newbie (straight out of the box) how can I move files using graphical interface

great,,, thanks for the advice

Comment

Re: newbie (straight out of the box) how can I move files using graphical interf

There's a graphical file viewer utility called "Krusader" that I like. It looks a bit reminiscent of the original Windows 3.1 File Manager. It is in the repositories. When you install it, it puts a red "Super User" Krusader in your System menu, and a blue "user" Krusader in your Utility menu. The red one is helpful when you first set up your system -- it will let you fix permissions problems in directories, and other fixes that require Super User permission. Then for daily work you use the blue one for copying your data files around and things like that.

Comment

Thats the one....... sounds perfect until I can get my head round the terminal commands.. thank you

Comment

Re: newbie (straight out of the box) how can I move files using graphical interf

Good. Note that when you need to fix permission problems, in (red) Krusader you can just right-click the folder or file, choose "Properties", and then there is a tab for permissions and you can set them as they need to be. To fix a whole "branch", you can set the permissions on the top folder and tell it to recurse through the sub-folders and files.

Comment

Working...
            X