This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates disabled usb ports

Folks, on my KDE neon User Edition 5.22.5 (20.04) and Ubuntu 20.04.03 LTS (20.04), each on separate partitions of Lenovo Thinkpad T540p, I get the error message:

usb 3-11: device descriptor read/64, error-110

on the boot-up. This error repeats several times, with the last two having the "addressing, error-71" in lieu of read/64, error-10.
    I believe this happened after installations of last two batches of updates which included kernels 5.11.0-36 & 37.
    With these kernels the usb ports are not detected and non-responsive. I reverted back to kernel 5.11.0-34 to no avail. However, reverting back to 5.4.0-88 works well and the ports become responsive. Googling was not of any help.
    What am I to do?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by marco07; Sep 28, 2021, 03:49 PM.

I got a similar error when I just did the update;
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ sudo dmesg | grep "read error:" [/COLOR]
    [    1.682162] usb 2-1.6: string descriptor 0 [COLOR=#ff5454][B]read error:[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] -22 [/COLOR]
    [    5.017046] usb 2-1.6: string descriptor 0 [COLOR=#ff5454][B]read error:[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] -22[/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

but both my USB-2 and my USB-3 ports worked fine. It depends on what you have installed but on my system the update consisted of 109 new installs or updates. My 390.144 nvidia driver came through without any problems.

My laptop is a 2012 Acer Aspire V3-771G. All my hardware is old legacy stuff. I expect it to fall out of the window of compatibility sooner or later. Probably sooner.

The first thing I'd try is to force mount it. Plug it in and do
    sudo mount -o rw /dev/sd? /media
    but change ? to your drive letter and number.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 28, 2021, 06:59 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This is often due to a failed, under powered, or poorly connected USB device. Are you booting with things plugged in to the USB or are they all empty? If they are empty, they may have failed.

The test is to unplug everything, power fully down and wait a few minutes, then power up without anything plugged in.

Please Read Me

Comment

It could always just be a kernel driver missing. Try booting to an older kernel or a different series.

Please Read Me

Comment

Code:
          The first thing I'd try is to force mount it.  Plug it in and do
          Code:
          sudo mount -o rw /dev/sd? /media
          but change ? to your drive letter and number.[/QUOTE]
          Thank you GG, force mounting worked!

Comment

Code:
            Are you booting with things plugged in to the USB or are they all empty? If they are empty, they may have failed.
            They all are empty! However, strange thing is that when I read your post, I thought that I better boot-up with a pen drive plugged in to see what happens. That is what I did and lo and behold, it worked.
            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X