This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI Plasma's sleek-looking new System Monitor not installed via updates

As the title implies, if you are running KDE Neon and update to Plasma 5.21, you will NOT have the new System Monitor installed. You will still have the old KSysGuard on your machine. This appears to be the case with all versions of Neon. To remedy, just install the 'plasma-systemmonitor' package.

Not sure why this was left out of the 5.20 (and 5.2.1) updates; I assume it was merely an oversight.
    Last edited by dequire; Mar 01, 2021, 10:42 AM.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Odd,
    Well maybe I am :0
    I don't remember needing to install it, but having to search for 'system monitor' in the menu to find it, and select the one that didn't say 'KSysguard'.
    But I very easily could have quickly installed it and forgot that I had done so. It does not seem to be included in the expected metapackage 'neon-desktop' like KSysyguard is
    It IS included on the current iso, however, alongside KSysyguard.

Comment

Thanks!

Please Read Me

Comment

Rats! Not in 20.04.2
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Rats! Not in 20.04.2
          Yup, wrong distro and wrong Plasma version.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Yup, wrong distro and wrong Plasma version.
            I'll wait until 22.04 is released.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, I did compile it in early states, I think it requires all the latest KDE bits.

edit: jup, it does:
              https://github.com/KDE/plasma-systemmonitor

Comment

Neon User has it.
                It's not all that hot, IMO.
                I mean, compare to my helluvakonky
                Which, if you keep your windows far enough left, is also always visible... to keep that visible, wouldn't be... feasible

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0301_204604.png
Views:	1
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	645070

Comment

I do think that new System Monitor is nice. I stumbled across it working on a laptop I repaired and then installed the latest Neon ISO to it.

Comment

I agree on all points. My 4 conky scripts give me what I need to know but I really like the sophisticated look and the detail System Monitor provides. There's a "New Page" feature that I know nothing about but might have some potential to customize it to your preference.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                      As the title implies, if you are running KDE Neon and update to Plasma 5.21, you will NOT have the new System Monitor installed.
                      neon-desktop metapackage recommends plasma-systemmonitor, so you'd get it with updates if:
                      1. you have "neon-desktop" installed
                      and
                      2. you have apt configured to treat recommended packages as dependencies (which I think is the default, at least it used to be...although I always change that default)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                        neon-desktop metapackage recommends plasma-systemmonitor, so you'd get it with updates if:
                        and
                        2. you have apt configured to treat recommended packages as dependencies (which I think is the default, at least it used to be...although I always change that default)
                        Yup, it is in the deps list for neon-desktop, so I wonder why I did have to install it on my PC? I definitely have the default *buntu apt setup for installing recommends. Curious.
                        I can't recall if it was added to my laptop, or I installed it manually.

Uninstalling the monitor does not remove the neon-desktop package, as I would expect.
                        Wait a minute, it is a recommends. nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                          and
                          However, Neon does not use APT, it uses PKCON. As do updates done via Discover. All I know is that I have a system running Testing Ed. and one running User Ed., and neither received that application with the upgrade to 5.21. Both still had KSysMon, however.
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

However, Neon does not use APT, it uses PKCON. As do updates done via Discover. All I know is that I have a system running Testing Ed. and one running User Ed., and neither received that application with the upgrade to 5.21. Both still had KSysMon, however.
                            It most certainly does use apt.

Pkcon is the commandline tool for PackageKit, which in turn uses the system's native tools to do the work. Which is apt/dpkg on Debian-like systems.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Uh, yeah, no. I've been using KDEneon since it was KDEneon and I always use apt. I still hate Discover and pkcon is unnecessary in my world.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X