This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Dolphin still cannot UNMOUNT a removable device

I've had this gripe for quite awhile (years actually). It seems there are more devs on here than there used to be, so...

Using KDEneon I have Dolphin 19.08.3 which is the same version being sent with 20.04 at this time, so the latest.

For EVER now, you can mount/unmount a fixed device:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191206_143603.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	649556

but not a removable device:

Name:	Screenshot_20191206_143526.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	649557

This kinda defies logic IMO, but nevertheless, I should be able to unmount a USB stick from Dolphin. It only offers "Safely Remove" which means: "Unmount and Power Down". This results in having to physically pull the USB drive and re-insert it to use it again. On top of that, there's no benefit to powering down a thumb drive if it's unmounted.

I'm hoping three's a setting I have wrong that will allow this to work as it should (IMO) before I go post a bug again.

Anyone?

Please Read Me

You know what saved me a lot of bother?
    This:

Name:	71L7LXvfuhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	644450

I have it velcroed to the top of the box, along with two removable drives.
    Except I don't remove them - or mount/unmout them, I switch them :·)
    And even for the two other ports, having a switch is... quite an advantage.

Comment

How does that address my issue? An ejected USB thumb drive is still an ejected USB thumb drive - unusable until one pulls it out and re-inserts it. Nor do I want or need yet another unattractive device to muck with. I have plenty of USB ports.

Please Read Me

Comment

Imagination, it's funny, it makes a cloudy day sunny
        Makes hardware work like honey, when software, just won't do...

--- Johnny Burke - Sung by Sinatra, Baker, Fitzgerald and many others...

Comment

I've been annoyed by this. One can do it from the command line, f.ex.:
          Code:
          udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdd1
          udisksctl unmount -b "$(mount | grep /media/$USER/[i]<LABEL>[/i]  | awk '{print $1}')"
          It might be possible to do a service menu item for this, but you'd have to be in /media/$USER/ and have a MimeType that would work, say
          Code:
          [Desktop Entry]
          Type=Service
          ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
          MimeType=inode/directory
          Icon=drive-removable-media-usb
          Actions=unmountrem;
          TryExec=udisksctl

[Desktop Action unmountrem]
          Name=Unmount removable
          Icon=emblem-unmounted
          Exec=udisksctl unmount -b "$(mount | grep "%f" | awk '{print $1}')"
          That has worked but it pollutes the service menu for every directory. Awkward too. I think a KDE menu item that ran a script that gave a nice dialog if there's multiple items in /media/$USER, and checked for errors, would be better, because one can drag it to a panel for easy access.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            I've been annoyed by this. One can do it from the command line, f.ex.:
            Code:
            udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdd1
            udisksctl unmount -b "$(mount | grep /media/$USER/[I]<LABEL>[/I]  | awk '{print $1}')"
            It might be possible to do a service menu item for this, but you'd have to be in /media/$USER/ and have a MimeType that would work, say
            Code:
            [Desktop Entry]
            Type=Service
            ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
            MimeType=inode/directory
            Icon=drive-removable-media-usb
            Actions=unmountrem;
            TryExec=udisksctl

[Desktop Action unmountrem]
            Name=Unmount removable
            Icon=emblem-unmounted
            Exec=udisksctl unmount -b "$(mount | grep "%f" | awk '{print $1}')"
            That has worked but it pollutes the service menu for every directory. Awkward too. I think a KDE menu item that ran a script that gave a nice dialog if there's multiple items in /media/$USER, and checked for errors, would be better, because one can drag it to a panel for easy access.
            Solid seems to take care of it from the system tray, but it's annoying to have to leave Dolphin to undo something it can do. Seems like a failed principal to have a program that can't undo it's own actions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi
              I dunno, but I left click and hit "safely remove". and a usb or an external hard drive, or the SamSung phone go away BUT I then always physically remove the drive.

And DonBcilly, I have exactly the same device but not hard taped and DID NOT THINK that by safely removing and then hitting the button to later REhit is would do that.;..hmmm

woodsmoke

Comment

Well, they're not taped, they're velcroed :·) so easy to remove and put back in place.
                Also, I've had this superstition for years (probably unfounded, but you know how superstitions are ;·) that "safely" remove is... anything but safe, and might brick the device.
                It actually happened to me twice, even though it was years ago... things may have changed.

Anyway, since then I prefer to physically remove USB thingies, and switching them on/off rather than bending and scratching the connectors (and my head when they look the right way in but they're not.. you know :·) ... I find a nice switch with a blue led around it much more to my liking than unmounting/unsafely-removing/bend-scratching... but that's me. My ideal computer is a steampunk contraption modelled on the Gibson-Sterling Difference Engine where it's all hardware and as little software as possible. Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_makefun.gif
Views:	3
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	644455

Even though, software-wise, you can't beat KDE... Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_cool.gif
Views:	3
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	644456

Comment

Working...
                X