Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to attribute boot-started apps to activities?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to attribute boot-started apps to activities?

The question is in the title. I start some apps, like strawberry, at boot time and would like them to come up on a specific activity other than the default one? If it's not configurable, is there a line command I can put in a script?

Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Hi
    Well, the old woodsmoker is not a command line kinda guy so ...

ONE WOULD THINK THAT woodsmoker could just start the app on the activity where i wish it to reside and go to the little symbol at the top left " menu" and mouse down to "activities" and choose an option, like Kaffein is tied to the music activity. It starts there on the next bootup... but no...

One must actually do AT LEAST one thing to get the app to start on an activity.

a) that is go to Settings / System settings / startup shutdown / autostart and click add a program. one gets a popup menu of apps choose the one and it appears in "Desktop file" with an "enabled" box that is ( on this rig) blue colored.

ONE COULD ...I guess add a "script" there but ...dunno...I have never done that.

b) Next is ...what one SHOULD then do to get the app to start "how" one wants.

menu button / more action / special application settings.

An important thing here is that, for some reason, "remember" does not cause an app to "remember" an activity one must use "force".

As a generic example:

size and position tick the "activity" and in "do not affect" change it to FORCE.

change "all activities" to the activity of choice

I also do the initial placement FORCE and CENTERED

WINDOW SPECIFIC SETTINGS: activities FORCE to the activity of choice

There are a multitude of settings and, unfortunately, one needs to restart after choosing things, probably several times,

BUT, when one gets into the "swing" of things...it is easy, I just have a list and for each activity, I have music, feeds, e-mail, wordprocessor, etc. i just get a cuppa coffee and tick through things.

It may seem more elegant to do it as a startup script but there are a LOT of things that need to be chosen so it may be easier to just do the above.

When one transfers "home" to a new install, these things are carried in it.

hope this helps

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 28, 2019, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but where in the world is this "menu" button you are referring to? I don't see any such thing.

I only suggested a command-line thing because I could not find anything else. You seem to have done so.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Top left corner:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sas1.png
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	644433

Click image for larger version

Name:	sas2.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	644434

Comment

Aha, I see now. I'll test it tomorrow morning, since I don't feel like doing a restart now. Thanks a million.

Comment

You also get this by right clicking anywhere on the title bar.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X