This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know How to Fix....?

I'm posting in the Neon forum as that's what I'm using and what the screen shot was taken from, but it does happen on all KDE related distros that I've tried.

Any time that I have either used a custom desktop file or modified an existing file, in the application launcher when just going through the application tree, the icons do not show up (on the programs that I've used custom icons). Everywhere else the new icons show up. When I do a search for a program with a modified desktop file, the custom icon shows up. Only during this view of any application launcher (doesn't matter which one), it will do this.

Is there something else that I need to modify as well for it to show up correctly in the application launchers?
    Attached Files
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Which application launcher are you using?

Comment

Doesn't matter which one. Applies to all of them, making me think it's a global setting I'm missing.

Comment

have you used the "edit applications" (right click the launcher) to set the icon for the application ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What does Kmenuedit show with regards to the icons and how are you customizing the desktop files?

You may need to use full paths to the custom icons.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            have you used the "edit applications" (right click the launcher) to set the icon for the application ?

VINNY
            Yes, it just pulls from the .desktop files that are already in place and those are still listed with the correct location of svgs.

The strange thing is that if I do a search in the application launcher, it returns the correct icons. It's like something about that particular state. Now, when I do a search and right click the program and pin to panel, it shows the correct icon and it keeps that icon when running and when closed (there was an issue if I pinned an open program with a custom icon and I close that program out, it reverts back to the normal system icon). However, when I click that pinned icon, very briefly it shows that blank "page" icon and then once the program is full opened it goes back to the appropriate icon.

Really strange.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

You may need to use full paths to the custom icons.
              I do use the full path. Like I said, the only time that it doesn't display the correct icon is in the picture state. I do a search in the application launcher for a program and it shows up with the appropriate icon. If I pin the icon to the panel (without opening it, that's key), it will show the appropriate icon on the panel.

Comment

try running
                Code:
                kbuildsycoca5
                and see if it helps

VINNY

edit:
                DESCRIPTION
                kbuildsycoca5 builds binary cache of the data stored in .desktop and MIME type .xml files that the KService framework uses to find plugins, applications
                and other services.

The KService library uses this database to efficiently provide the information requested of it.

Users do not normally need to run this application directly; KService will run it if necessary, when any of the files whose data is cached are changed.
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Also, the KDE icon cache gets screwy sometimes (though it hasn't happened to me for many years); you might try
                  Code:
                  rm ~/.cache/icon-cache.kcache
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    try running
                    Code:
                    kbuildsycoca5
                    and see if it helps

VINNY

edit:
                    Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                    Also, the KDE icon cache gets screwy sometimes (though it hasn't happened to me for many years); you might try
                    Code:
                    rm ~/.cache/icon-cache.kcache
                    Neither ones of these worked.

I'm attaching another picture that shows how it shows up in the default applications launcher (again, this applies to all of the launches that I've tried, both shipped with Kubuntu and Neon and the extra launcher widget downloaded through the add widget panel).

You'll notice that it shows the correct icon on the taskbar, but not in the launcher itself. In the other picture it shows it after I start doing a search for firefox. So it's something about that state of just showing the icons and it does this both for my portable programs as well as the traditionally installed ones.

I'm thinking it's something with KDE itself, because I can put this in Cinnamon and it will show up as I would expect it to right off the bat. Doesn't matter if I look for the program via category or through a search.

This might very well be a "paper cut" I dunno.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X