Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE neon 5.14 user edition upgraded to 5.15 now gets MODSIGN Couldn't get UEFI db

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE neon 5.14 user edition upgraded to 5.15 now gets MODSIGN Couldn't get UEFI db

Like the title states, my system was originally KDE neon 514 user edition and has been updated ever since. I am running neon on a Mac mini mid 2011 server model (Macmini5,3). KDE neon has been working great until today when I reboot after the latest kernel update (ending with 53). Granted, my last reboot was 68 days, but didn't think anything of it (nor should it matter). Now I get the dreaded "MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db" error. I have done nothing but update since that point (ie no new software or hardware installs, etc.). I tried booting into the last kernel I kept around (ending with 48 I believe), but it has the same issue. All recovery option is for kernels .50 and .53 do not help.

I read that older kernels may not produce this error, so is there an easy way to install an older kernel in emergency mode? Or does anyone know of any way to fix this? I have read turning off secure boot can fix it, but that doesn't sound like a long term fix. The last option is to re-install, but that sounds drastic. Any advise would be appreciated.

P.S. - I did try searching the forum, but I get 403 forbidden errors when I try to view the results... says I am a potential security risk.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post

P.S. - I did try searching the forum, but I get 403 forbidden errors when I try to view the results... says I am a potential security risk.
    Did you click the link on the page to report this?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Did you click the link on the page to report this?
      Yes, but I do not use a locally installed e-mail client, which is what it wanted me to configure so I could send the e-mail. If there is an option to cut & paste it into my webmail I will do that.
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

copypasta the contents of the page and send to blocked@kubuntuforums.net
        I have, as these search results are doing the same to me

I suggest searching outside of KFN if you have not already, unless someone else has an idea what you need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          copypasta the contents of the page and send to blocked@kubuntuforums.net
          I have, as these search results are doing the same to me

I suggest searching outside of KFN if you have not already, unless someone else has an idea what you need to do.
          I will do that, thank you!

I have been searching the web, sounds like a kernel issue/bug plus Mac hardware, advice on a fix is hit or miss. Honestly, if I spent anymore time searching for solutions it will be faster to try a re-install :-( Only reason it would be nice to have a fix is if this happens again... maybe I should never reboot again...lol. If I do find a fix I will update this post.

Related, but slightly different question, is there a way to access apt-get in emergency mode? Or is that before the network stack loads?
          Last edited by benny_fletch; Jun 04, 2019, 02:29 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

If you boot into Recovery Mode from the Grub menu, you can access the command line, there is an option for accessing this with networking enabled, so if it is plugged into an ethernet port, you should be good to go. Wireless, may or may not work.

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
              The 403 errors are caused by a problematic ZB-Block signature; ZBB thinks the apostrophe in "couldn't" should not be there.

I have offered a workaround to Snowhog to resolve the issue, but it may be a few hours before he sees, installs, and tests it.

In the meantime, anyone who searches for something with an apostrophe (such as "wouldn't", "can't", "you're", etc) should leave that contraction out. The forum does not require every single word in a quotation search; searching for "MODSIGN UEFI db" finds this thread without inclusion of "Couldn't get".

Comment

Originally posted by ZB-Block-JamesC View Post
                In the meantime, anyone who searches for something with an apostrophe (such as "wouldn't", "can't", "you're", etc) should leave that contraction out. The forum does not require every single word in a quotation search; searching for "MODSIGN UEFI db" finds this thread without inclusion of "Couldn't get".
                Thank you for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                X