This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launching VM crashes macOS Mojave

This doesn't happen every launch, but frequently enough that it concerns me. It happened a few minutes ago.

I run KDE neon User Edition 5.15 (KDE Plasma Version: 5.15.5; KDE Frameworks Version 5.58.0; Qt Version: 5.12.0; Kernel Version: 4.18.0-20-generic; OS Type: 64-bit). I run Oracle VirtualBox Version 5.2.30 r130521 (Qt5.6.3). I start VirtualBox and select KDE neon User Edition. I have Grub configured to show me it's menu. I select neon GNU/Linux and before it gets to the login screen, macOS Mojave crashes. This only occurs with KDE neon User Edition; the other two Kubuntu VM's do not cause this to occur. After the crash of macOS, I can start the VM without issue. Generally, as the VM is in essence 'sandboxed' within the Host OS, the only way it could cause a system crash of the Host is through a memory address space intrusion; trying to write to a memory space already in use by the Host. Would I be correct? Exactly who can I address this to within the KDE neon community? Has anyone here, running KDE neon User Edition as a VM, had similar experiences?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I currently do not have this setup, but I can try it if it helps you troubleshoot. It could be something with running the latest KDE on an older base... where as your kubuntu installs are (mostly) the latest everything and the older base (I assume you are running the latest kubuntu as well as 18.04). Another possibility is virtualbox... I had a Windows 10 install at work that would always crash macOS like you are describing (although this was with High Sierra). I had the problem so much that I eventually went to remoting another computer with Windows 10 instead of a VM.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

When KDE neon User Edition was installed, it was from a current version downloaded .iso and has been been kept current with pkcon refresh and pkcon update. VirtualBox is updated when a new version is identified in it's notifications, so both are 'current'. As neither of my two Kubuntu VM's do this (crash macOS), I'm eliminating VirtualBox as the 'cause', and inclined therefore to suspect KDE neon User Edition as the antagonist 'for some unknown reason(s)'.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X