Screen brightness very low in Neon 24.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Screen brightness very low in Neon 24.04

I installed a fresh system (in fact, two) and in both, the screen brightness is almost unusably low. This seems to be a general problem, but all the proposed solutions are for gnome, not kde. Any suggestions?

$ uname -a
    Linux jon-desktop 6.8.0-45-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Aug 30 12:02:
    04 UTC 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I have installed brightness-controller but it just shows I am at max brightness. It changes nothing, even if I descend to o%. The display and brightness control in system control > power management has no effect either.

Last edited by joneall; Yesterday, 10:46 AM.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

What two systems (PCs) are you using? Desktops or Laptops, or one of each? Makes, models, hardware specifics (Graphics/Monitors)? Also, did/do you experience the same issue in the Live environment?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The two systems are on two partitions on the same desktop machine, which was assembled by the local store and much modified since. My display is a Samsung S27R65.

lspci tells me my video card is

VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)

There's new, tho. I reinstalled one of the systems, just the same way I did before and the new system has good brightness. Uh...
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

In the problematic system, create a new user. Logout and login with that user to see if the behavior persists. If it does not, then some configuration file or setting in your home directory is causing this.

Comment

My screen is dark as well. I created another user as requested and the screen brightness of the new user seems normal.
          I am using a Dell 23" desktop monitor.
          I did a clean install from 'neon-user-20241013-0744.iso' and did all the upgrades as needed.
          I am using Nouveau.
          The login screen brightness is normal.
          Changing themes does not change the default overall brightness.
          If I switch to X11 my screen brightness is normal.
          When I switch back to Wayland my screen brightness dims again.
          The wayland session brightness using the alternate user I created is normal.

EDIT: I see there is a screen brightness icon in the task tray next to audio volume. That's new?
          Last edited by cookiemuncher; Yesterday, 05:06 AM.

Comment

In system settings > power management, there is an automatic screen dimming time, which you can set to never, tho I set mine finally to 15 min. My original problem has gone away, so I suppose the dim was on permanently for some reason. Why is as obscure to me as how it fixed itself.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
              My original problem has gone away, so I suppose the dim was on permanently for some reason. Why is as obscure to me as how it fixed itself.
              Because of Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." And as we all know, Linux is sufficiently advanced technology, so, 'magic'.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Because of Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." And as we all know, Linux is sufficiently advanced technology, so, 'magic'.
                I like that. In this case, it's white magic.

Comment

Working...
                X