KDE file manager opens though apps instead of Dolphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE file manager opens though apps instead of Dolphin

This is something that has been happening since the beginning, but it's becoming more and more of an annoyance now that I'm working on projects that frequently open up the file manager.

For some reason, whenever I need to open the file manager through an app (doesn't matter what app it is), it opens the KDE file manager instead of Dolphin for some reason. This is annoying because the KDE file manager settings are completely different than the Dolphin settings that I have. It will open up the most recent location I had in the KDE manager, meaning sometimes it will open up a completely different file location than the one I was expecting, causing me to have to navigate all the way back to where I was expecting it to open in the first place.

Here's an example. I'm learning the Godot game engine right now, which normally uses it's own file manager. It's set up so that when you open up the file manager, it opens up right where you need it to. However, for some reason, it's currently opening up the KDE file manager which always opens the most recent location I had, no matter the context of what I was doing at the time. This greatly interrupts the workflow which is normally quite smooth when working with Godot and the Godot file manager.

Should I make a bug report to Kubuntu/KDE? Is there anything I can do to fix this right now? Anything will help. Thank you!

Dolphin is not a filepicker - the simpler tool that apps use to browse for file, instead of the full-blown file manager..
    KDE applications use either the KDE one, or sometimes a Qt one, Gtk based apps use something else (though probably themed to appear like it is a KDE picker..
    This does make things more complicated when discussing this, as each of us might be talking about two different things, inadvertently.

In can't say why godot has changed from using its native (probably gtk?)filepicker to something else.
    There are mechanisms in Linux that allow applications to use the desktop's native file picker instead of it's own. Maybe Godot started implementing this, but didn't set a goodm default location.
    For example, Libreoffice in KDE uses the KDE file picker for opening/saving, and it always starts in Documents, not in the last place I was at.

Originally posted by Wilford111 View Post
    it opens up right where you need it to.
    What does this mean?

Screenshots may be helpful here.
    What version of Godot, and what source? (snap, flatpak, ubuntu apt repositories, etc.)

Comment

Working...
    X