Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild experiment: adding Jammy backports to KDEneon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild experiment: adding Jammy backports to KDEneon?

I was reading about "nala" - a command line application to use instead of apt - with quite a few advantages over apt. Naturally, I wanted to try it but since KDEneon is still "Jammy" and nala isn't in the Jammy sources I couldn't simply install it.

I checked Kubuntu "Noble" and there it was. So rather than attempting downloading and installing nala, I decided to add jammy-backports to my KDEneon install and see what happens.

Thank goodness for BTRFS and snapshots! I'll update here if this turns out to be fatal, LOL

Please Read Me

OK, well I tried out Nala but either I messed Nala up somehow or the Frankenstein monster I created by adding backports into my KDEneon install left behind a mess. Either way, I'm back up on the snapshot I saved.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTRFS makes snapshoting, and recovering using snapshots, child's play.

Taking only seconds to make an ro snapshot before updating or removing apps takes the fear out of such activities because roleback takes only seconds, followed by a reboot. This is one reason why I merged @home into @ and now need to snapshot only @.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I think you can pick and choose specific packages from backports, just like you do when using Proposed to test a specific fix.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed

But I don't know what other bits it may need. Maybe some updates Apt libraries as well?.

Actually Nala is python and connects to apt via python-apt.

It might be possible to try it out by just downloading the source from git.
        Or, (duh, claydoh) just grab the Deb from the project's gitlab:

https://gitlab.com/volian/nala/-/releases

I could swear I tried this out a few years ago, but I do so much so often I really can't be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Or, (duh, claydoh) just grab the Deb from the project's gitlab:
          More duhs, or 'doh's lol
          it doesn't install for me, as numerous python package that are missing. They are available in the archives, though -- I suspect the apt pins and preference changes neon makes may be the issue here.
          Using jammy-backports does the same.

In a clean-ish recent-ish virtual machine, it installs just fine.
          Last edited by claydoh; Jul 11, 2024, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            I suspect the apt pins and preference changes neon makes may be the issue here.
            I suspect much pebkac, my sources.list somehow got screwed up, ever so slightly. Who knows how long that had been going on.
            The deb installs. No issues.

Comment

Working...
            X