This morning's update seems to have broken QEMU/KVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning's update seems to have broken QEMU/KVM

This morning The Virtual Machine Manager" reported "no connection..." so I rolled back to yesterday and it now works fine.

I captured the list of installed packages and decided these were related to libvirt:
    Code:
    libspice-server1
    libvirglrenderer1
    libvirt-clients
    libvirt-daemon-config-network
    libvirt-daemon-config-nwfilter
    libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu
    libvirt-daemon-system-systemd
    libvirt-daemon-system
    libvirt-daemon
    libvirt-l10n
    libvirt0
    ovmf
    python3-libvirt
    qemu-block-extra
    qemu-system-common
    qemu-system-data
    qemu-system-gui
    qemu-system-x86
    qemu-utils
    seabios
    spice-vdagent
    virt-manager
    virtinst

so I updated all but these and rebooting in a few minutes to test.

Please Read Me

This seems to have temporarily solved the issue.

I have turned off my auto-update for now. I'll try it again in a week or so...

Please Read Me

Comment

I thought this was from my using Canonical's Server Team Backports PPA, which had a few updates yesterday. Today? My yesterday, anyway.
      A few packages were removed, but I decided to go with it, because I can roll back, or use my laptop for virt-manager for now.
      Last edited by claydoh; Jul 10, 2024, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Updated yesterday and this is still happening. Seeks like this might be the issue:

Code:
        Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
        Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
        Investigating (0) libvirt-daemon-system:amd64 < 9.0.0-2ubuntu1.2~backport22.04.202309270211~ubuntu22.04.1 @ii mK Ib >
        Broken libvirt-daemon-system:amd64 Depends on libvirt-clients:amd64 < 9.0.0-2ubuntu1.2~backport22.04.202309270211~ubuntu22.04.1 -> 10.0.0-2ubuntu8.2~backport22.04.202405071150~ubuntu22.04.1 @ii umU > (= 9.0.0-2ubuntu1.2~backport22.04.202309270211~ubuntu22.04.1)
        Considering libvirt-clients:amd64 2 as a solution to libvirt-daemon-system:amd64 -1
        Removing libvirt-daemon-system:amd64 rather than change libvirt-clients:amd64
        Done
        Entering ResolveByKeep
        Calculating upgrade... Done
        The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
        acpi-support acpid libvirt-daemon-config-network libvirt-daemon-config-nwfilter libvirt-daemon-system-systemd mdevctl
        Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
        The following packages will be REMOVED:
        libvirt-daemon-system​

Please Read Me

Comment

Based on the above output, I installed "libvirt-clients" and it's depends:

Code:
          The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
          libvirt-daemon-config-network libvirt-daemon-config-nwfilter libvirt-daemon-system-systemd mdevctl
          Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
          The following additional packages will be installed:
          libvirt-daemon libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu libvirt-l10n libvirt0
          Suggested packages:
          libvirt-clients-qemu libvirt-login-shell libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-gluster libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-iscsi-direct libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-rbd
          libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-zfs libvirt-daemon-driver-lxc libvirt-daemon-driver-vbox libvirt-daemon-driver-xen libvirt-daemon-system numad passt
          The following packages will be REMOVED:
          libvirt-daemon-system
          The following packages will be upgraded:
          libvirt-clients libvirt-daemon libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu libvirt-l10n libvirt0
          5 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
          Need to get 6,984 kB of archives.
          After this operation, 850 kB of additional disk space will be used.
          and this IMMEDIATELY broke QEMU/KVM. I assume it's the removal of libvirt-daemon-system that causes the problem.

For the last several days I've NOT upgraded these 22 packages:​​

Code:
          libvirglrenderer1
          libvirt-clients
          libvirt-daemon-system
          libvirt-daemon
          libvirt-l10n
          libvirt0
          ovmf
          python3-libvirt
          qemu-block-extra
          qemu-system-common
          qemu-system-data
          qemu-system-gui
          qemu-system-x86
          qemu-utils
          seabios
          spice-vdagent
          virt-manager
          virtinst​

Please Read Me

Comment

Assuming you are using the same PPA source, I think that there is a packaging misconfiguration on libvirt-daemon-system​, I think. (I am AFK ATM)

I think this package depends on a version of something from a later release than 22.04 privides, and not in the PPA. I'll report which thing later.

Comment

This is still a problem. In order to do system updates, I have taken to:
              1. Running "apt list --upgradable" after updating and using awk to deliver only the package names to a text file.
              2. Manually editing the file to delete the 22 packages for libvrt in the list,
              3. Feeding the list to "apt install"
              This is the only way I can update at the moment. I suppose I could go though and lock all 22 packages, but then it would be harder to test upgrading them - being ever optimistic that someone will fix this.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have narrowed it down to these packages:
                Code:
                libvirt-clients
                libvirt-daemon-system
                libvirt-daemon
                libvirt-l10n
                libvirt0
                python3-libvirt

Please Read Me

Comment

Are these stock Ubuntu packages, or from PPA? I simply disabled that in Discover.

And yes I forgot to check what the possible packaging issue was.

Comment

I just booted to a fresh KDEneon install and when I updated it, the QEMU version is a version older than the one I'm getting here on my old install. Odd.

Please Read Me

Comment

$ apt policy qemu
                      qemu:[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]
                      Installed: (none)
                      Candidate: 1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6.21
                      Version table:
                      1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6.21 500
                      500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security/universe amd64 Packages
                      500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/universe amd64 Packages
                      1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6 500
                      500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages
                      500 http://mirror.overthewire.com.au/ubuntu jammy/universe amd64 Packages

Mine is not picking up the qemu from the PPA, which is 7.2

Code:
                      $ apt policy qemu-utils
                      qemu-utils:
                        Installed: 1:7.2+dfsg-5ubuntu2.3~backport22.04.202309280605~ubuntu22.04.1
                        Candidate: 1:7.2+dfsg-5ubuntu2.3~backport22.04.202309280605~ubuntu22.04.1
                        Version table:
                       *** 1:7.2+dfsg-5ubuntu2.3~backport22.04.202309280605~ubuntu22.04.1 100
                              100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                           1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6.21 500
                              500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security/main amd64 Packages
                              500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64 Packages
                           1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6 500
                              500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages

Also, libvirt-daemon-system from that PPA depends on polkitd version newer than what is in Jammy, which is a PPA build or packaging issue

Code:
                      The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                      libvirt-daemon-system : Depends: polkitd (>= 121+compat0.1-2)
                      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                      claydoh@cubist:~$ apt policy polkitd
                      polkitd:
                      Installed: 0.105-33
                      Candidate: 0.105-33
                      Version table:
                      *** 0.105-33 500
                      500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages
                      500 http://mirror.overthewire.com.au/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages
                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I have emailed the Server Team about this.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Jul 19, 2024, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X