• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woke up to Plasma 6.1 this morning!

Operating System: KDE neon 6.0
    KDE Plasma Version: 6.1.0
    KDE Frameworks Version: 6.3.0
    Qt Version: 6.7.0

The desktop loaded very quickly, noticeably more so.

First thing I noticed was my two weather widgets had slightly changed size which moved one of them to the right because it could no longer fit below the first one like it had before. I resized the desktop folder above them and put them back where they were.

The second thing was a constant "select" window frame whenever I hovered over the Desktop folder. I finally got it to go away by selecting a file and then closing it.

On the plus side, the Desktop folder now has "multi-select" feature like Dolphin. When hovering, the upper left corner of the icon space has a plus sign to select it, and as many other files as you wish. This allows you to select multiple files without dragging or using the keyboard to press CTRL or Shift.

More reports coming...
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 19, 2024, 07:20 AM.

Please Read Me

Are you using Wayland or X11 for the Desktop?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• oshunluvr
      oshunluvr commented
      Editing a comment
      Wayland...

Super Tux Kart was not happy with the update, my screen kept flickering between virtual desktops until I xkilled it. X-Plane is fine so I'm OK...
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Wayland still doesn't work on my virtualized installation of KDE neon User Edition. (Oracle VirtualBox Version 7.0.18 r162988 (Qt5.15.2)) Switching to Wayland on the SDDM Login Screen and putting in my password and pressing Enter produces a black screen with a working mouse cursor and that's all. Even the Oracle VirtualBox Machine ACPI Shutdown doesn't work (The Reset does). I'm guessing it doesn't handle the virtualized GPU. I'm surprised this is an issue; that adequate testing on popular VM software wasn't done during Waylands development.

Comment

Using Plasma 6.1 here with Neon also. Working well so far. But using x11 so I can use a dock.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Wayland still doesn't work on my virtualized installation of KDE neon User Edition. (Oracle VirtualBox Version 7.0.18 r162988 (Qt5.15.2)) Switching to Wayland on the SDDM Login Screen and putting in my password and pressing Enter produces a black screen with a working mouse cursor and that's all. Even the Oracle VirtualBox Machine ACPI Shutdown doesn't work (The Reset does). I'm guessing it doesn't handle the virtualized GPU. I'm surprised this is an issue; that adequate testing on popular VM software wasn't done during Waylands development.
          Have you tried removing "quiet splash" from boot options?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Have you tried removing "quiet splash" from boot options?
            Booting is fine. It’s logging in to the Desktop from the login screen with Wayland selected that results in a black screen.

Comment

Oh, sorry - you said that didn't you.

Wayland works fine here in QEMU/KVM. Probably a Vbox problem

Please Read Me

Comment

• GreyGeek
                GreyGeek commented
                Editing a comment
                Wayland works fine for me too!

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Wayland works fine here in QEMU/KVM.
              In your VM, what virtualized GPU is used?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                In your VM, what virtualized GPU is used?
                On Qemu/KVM (using virt-manager), the GPU is not like Virtualbox or Vmware.
                Unless one passes through a physical GPU (like the iGPU), it uses its own Virtio or QXL for graphics, or something like that.
                Mine is using the default Spice server , and Virtio for graphics, which leverages the system GPU, I think.

The other main option for graphics is QXL, which is only 2d, and OK but is using software rendering.
                Both work fine for Wayland here on my laptop.
                Last edited by claydoh; Jun 19, 2024, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• oshunluvr
                  oshunluvr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I usually just leave it on QXL as it typically doesn't matter for what I use most VMs for
              Working...
              X