First HARD lockup in a long time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First HARD lockup in a long time.

I clicked on a subtitles file with it's associated movie file in the same folder - which launches "Subtitle Composer" - with the subtitles and video running together. Somewhere in that mix, the Subtitle Composer window froze including the mouse icon. It was full screen so I had no access to that desktop on that monitor, but I have two screens so my desktop was accessible there.

I was able to kill the subtitle composer process, but the window remained open and blocking the desktop. Trying to move to TErmianl mode just froze the system completely. Finally, punching the reset button was my only recourse and on reboot everything seemed fine.

The only thing I saw of interest after reviewing syslog was:

Code:
    May 23 12:21:39 office kwin_wayland[1760]: message repeated 55 times: [ kwin_wayland_drm: Pageflip timed out! This is a kernel bug]
    May 23 12:21:39 office kded6[1884]: Failed to stat /proc/127178 No such file or directory
    May 23 12:21:44 office kwin_wayland[1760]: kwin_wayland_drm: Pageflip timed out! This is a kernel bug
    May 23 12:23:29 office kwin_wayland[1760]: message repeated 21 times: [ kwin_wayland_drm: Pageflip timed out! This is a kernel bug]
    May 23 12:23:29 office systemd[1664]: app-org.kde.subtitlecomposer-e867bf05e5364dddb11b3e08b31dc070.scope: Consumed 2min 40.216s CPU time.
    May 23 12:23:34 office kwin_wayland[1760]: kwin_wayland_drm: Pageflip timed out! This is a kernel bug

​
    This was repeated several times with varying "CPU time" listed. I've not seen this before so maybe there is a kernel bug I encountered.

Please Read Me

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    so maybe there is a kernel bug
    That output says so.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I hope it is a kernel bug.

In both FireFox and Chromium, when I view a YT video full screen I will eventually get a full freeze which requires a power cycle to recover.

I was running Debian 12 when the first FireFox + YT lockup occurred. Since then I've been watching YT in smaller windows.

I switched to KDE Neon over the weekend and experienced the same lockup under the same conditions.

I had upgraded my RAM to 64GB a while ago and thought I might have a bad stick, but my HP BIOS system RAM check says all 64GB are good.

Thinking it might be a wayland problem I switched to X11, but the problem continues. So, I watch YT videos at less than full screen.

My video driver is i915.
      Other than that my KDE Neon is running perfectly.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Did a reboot this morning after last night's update. Booted up much quicker and the desktop loaded faster after log-in.

Fingers crossed it's a "fix" and not a "fluke", lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X