• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    now that your back in , but with no desktop , use the
    Code:
    plasmashell &
    in the konsole you can bring up .

I must ask , have you been running GUI apps launched with "sudo" instead of "kdesudo" ?

VINNY
    Command 'plasmashell &' in the first try reports 'Segmentation fault'
    In the second try it reports (in part) a couple times about 'trying to show an empty dialog'
    Also, org.kde.plasmaquick: New applet "Digital Clock" with a weight of 65

I wouldn't know to try kdesudo - never heard of it. I don't recall running GUI apps using sudo. Yes, I am wondering why just resizing a digital clock widget would reset certain files to root ownership. Plenty of time for wondering after this gets fixed.
    Last edited by kenj70; Apr 27, 2018, 08:06 PM.
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
      Yes, I am wondering why just resizing a digital clock widget would reset certain files to root ownership. Plenty of time for wondering after this gets fixed.
      it would not ,

what ver. of Neon are you on ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

it would not ,

what ver. of Neon are you on ?

VINNY
        KDE Neon version 5.12.4

Resizing widgets, usually making them larger has caused the visual interface to crash before. Rebooting, before this, always returned operation to normal.
        -=Ken=-

Comment

KDE Neon version 5.12.4
          thats the plasma ver... you on Neon-user , Neon-LTS , Neon-/dev/stable , Neon-/dev/unstable .

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

thats the plasma ver... you on Neon-user , Neon-LTS , Neon-/dev/stable , Neon-/dev/unstable .

VINNY
            I originally installed KDE Neon 5.10.3 User Edition. Whether it was LTS I don't remember. The current download page doesn't mention anything about LTS.

KDE Frameworks reports as 5.45.0
            Qt version reports 5.10
            Kernal reports 4.13.0-39-generic
            OS Type 64-bit

What would happen if downloaded the current user edition and reinstalled?
            Last edited by kenj70; Apr 27, 2018, 10:02 PM.
            -=Ken=-

Comment

Note: Running 'plasma &' returns [1] 2702 (number varies with each execution). Then continues automatically. Here is the complete screen output:

user@pcname:~$ plasma &
              [1] 2702
              user@pcname:~$ org.kde.plasmaquick: Applet preload policy set to 1
              Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
              Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
              trying to show an empty dialog
              Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/code/LayoutManager.js"
              was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/LayoutManager.js")
              Warning: all files used by qml by the plasmoid should be in ui/. The file in the path "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/code/FolderTools.js" was expected at QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderTools.js")
              kf5.kpackage: No metdata file in package, expected it at: /home/username/Pictures/_By Year/2014/09/"
              kf5.kpackage: No metdata file in package, expected it at: /home/username/Pictures/_By Year/2014/09/"
              trying to show an empty dialog
              org.kde.plasmaquick: New Applet "Digital Clock" with a weight of 65
              [] <--- cursor remains at currently running status. Must Ctrl-D to get command prompt back.
              -=Ken=-

Comment

I’m running KDE Neon User Edition (which is based on the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) and I’m having no problem resizing widgets. I’ll specifically try the clock widget later this morning.

What is your display hardware and driver? For reference I’m showing both i915 and nvidia in my lsmod listing. My NVidia GT 650M is selected and used. It has been faultless.

Also, what file system are you using, EXT4 or Btrfs?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Try pressing "alt and enter" for krunner, type "plasmashell start" and enter. When I was looking at your other thread, I tried resizing the clock to large and it did the same, that's how I would get plasma back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                    Try pressing "alt and enter" for krunner, type "plasmashell start" and enter. When I was looking at your other thread, I tried resizing the clock to large and it did the same, that's how I would get plasma back.
                    Alt-Enter did not do anything! So I ran 'krunner' from konsole and it came up. I ran 'plasmashell start' and nothing happened. From your experience with re-sizing I would say there is some problem with resizing widgets.
                    Last edited by kenj70; Apr 28, 2018, 08:59 AM.
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I’m running KDE Neon User Edition (which is based on the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) and I’m having no problem resizing widgets. I’ll specifically try the clock widget later this morning.

What is your display hardware and driver? For reference I’m showing both i915 and nvidia in my lsmod listing. My NVidia GT 650M is selected and used. It has been faultless.

Also, what file system are you using, EXT4 or Btrfs?
                      Yes, I believe that is the same exact distro I used. I just couldn't remember for sure. And now the official download site doesn't even mention the ubuntu base or LTS.

I was able to start 'kinfocenter' from konsole. Display hardware is NVIDIA GT 710. Driver is 384.130 It seems to be auto-updating.

I was able to run 'sudu gparted' from konsole and my boot file system is ext4. Konsole reported errors running gparted "Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
                      -=Ken=-

Comment

I think there is a bug with that widget yeah but it usually just sits on the panel.

You could try opening krunner again, opening the system settings from it then going to Desktop Behaviour>Activities. Create a new activity and delete the one in which you placed the widget. Then login again. I have no idea whether that will work but theoretically it might get you a fresh desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                          I think there is a bug with that widget yeah but it usually just sits on the panel.

You could try opening krunner again, opening the system settings from it then going to Desktop Behaviour>Activities. Create a new activity and delete the one in which you placed the widget. Then login again. I have no idea whether that will work but theoretically it might get you a fresh desktop.
                          OK, success! I had three Activities and I just deleted 'Default' because that was active when I was testing the widget. Things seem to work OK for now but I will keep checking because this problem seems to have damaged things.

Thanks GreyGeek, VINNY and Bings for being here for me. Whew! What a relief. How do I mark this topic solved?

-=Ken=-
                          -=Ken=-

Comment

And people wonder why the developers are blocking GUI programs from running as root?

kenj70, this sort of thing:
                            ... run 'sudu gparted' from konsole...
                            is exactly why you are having this sort of problem.

Do NOT, under ANY circumstances run a GUI (graphical interfaced) program with SUDO. Doing so causes files in your home to be owned by root instead of you, thus leaving you unable to log into your desktop. Sound familiar?

If you must launch a GUI program as root, use KDESUDO not sudo.

graphical program = kdesudo gparted = good
                            graphical program = sudo gparted = BAD

Please Read Me

Comment

I was able to run 'sudu gparted' from konsole ,
                              and hear we go launching a GUI app with sudo ,,,,,,,not good .

running GUI apps as root with "sudo is a quick way to mess up the permissions in your home "Gparted" will ask for your password .
                              if you must try running an GUI (graphic) app as root the way is "kdesudo" this will keep your environment variables.

but I am glad you got it sorted

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                                And people wonder why the developers are blocking GUI programs from running as root?

kenj70, this sort of thing: is exactly why you are having this sort of problem.

Do NOT, under ANY circumstances run a GUI (graphical interfaced) program with SUDO. Doing so causes files in your home to be owned by root instead of you, thus leaving you unable to log into your desktop. Sound familiar?

If you must launch a GUI program as root, use KDESUDO not sudo.

graphical program = kdesudo gparted = good
                                graphical program = sudo gparted = BAD
                                ,,,,beet me to it .

VINNY
                                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                                X