This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Nvidia Driver Visual Glitches with Nvdia 1060 max-q

I used software sources to download the Additional Drivers tool to download and install the Proprietery Nvidia driver and intel microcode update. However since I did that I have noticed that I get strange visual artifacts around my mouse and on screen while typing.

The version it installed is 384.90 and the one on the site is 384.98 I remember they used to have an option for stable or latest. This time there was only one option to choose.

I am goiun g to guess that you only see one option is because your very recent card is not supported by the other older driver versions available in Ubuntu's repos. I just got a gtx 1050, which is somewhat new-ish, and only see one Nvidia choice of the 384 driver (in Kubuntu 17.10). There is an Ubuntu ppa for updated Nvidia drivers here
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv..._filter=xenial
    where you can get the 387 driver, which might work a little better on your newer card. I have three choices for the non-free drivers with this added: 381, 384, and 387

Comment

381 and 384 we very buggy for me. I only have a GTX 780 but 387 is the only driver that works well here.

Please Read Me

Comment

The next time you boot up and are at the login screen use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get a terminal, then issue
        sudo systemctl restart sddm

and then log in.

I think sddm 0.16.0-3 fixes the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It's funny as I always thought that the additional drivers tool just used a nvidia ppa to get the latest...

Comment

I purged all old nvidia stuff and then added the ppa and installed the latest binary driver which is 387.34 (although it did say open source in brackets at the end which I find weird). It didn't help.

I did the sudo systemctl restart sddm. Which seemed to temporarily fix it for that session.

However, I actually found that after boot up I would log out then log in and it seemed to do the temporary fix for the session as well. So not sure what is affected by that...

Comment

Umm, not open source.

Maybe you saw "OpenCL ICD?"

"OpenCL" means "Open Computing Language" - from wiki: "OpenCL (Open Computing Language) is a multivendor open standard for general-purpose parallel programming of heterogeneous systems that include CPUs, GPUs and other processors" This is not the same as "Open Source" which means the source code is available to be viewed or edited and re-complied by anyone.

"ICD" means "Installable Client Driver" - which is both obvious and redundant.

To your other comments, all PPAs available by default are serviced by Canonical. Many, many, specific packages are available in newer or different versions from non-Canonical PPA sources - but you have to enable those types of PPAs yourself. The general rule-of-thumb is stick with "factory" until you can't - and this is one of those cases. Canonical's adaptation of external drivers like nVidia's is not done in any sort of timely fashion.

Your last comment re. logging in vs. booting up or restarting sddm I didn't understand.

Please Read Me

Comment

I just double checked and it says
                "Using NVIDIA binary driver - version 387.34 from nvidia-387(open source)

If I turn on my laptop and log in the graphical glitches are present. If I log out and log back it the glitches are gone for that session.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                  I just double checked and it says
                  "Using NVIDIA binary driver - version 387.34 from nvidia-387(open source)
                  Wow, interesting. I've never seen that - where are you seeing that? AFAIK, the only open source driver is Nouveau.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeh it is confusing that it mentions open source...

But I have the full Nvidia panel and I have been using some heavy Opengl 4.6 Apps with 3d simulations going and they recognize the card and driver.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Any thoughts if it is kde issue or nvidia driver issue connected to the artifacts for the first login?

Comment

their is a nvidia-390 driver out now as well

Code:
                        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
                        == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
                        model    : GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M]
                        vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
                        modalias : pci:v000010DEd0000119Asv00001558sd00000376bc03sc00i00
                        driver   : nvidia-384 - distro non-free
                        driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin
                        driver   : nvidia-387 - third-party free
                        driver   : nvidia-390 - third-party free recommended
                        driver   : nvidia-340 - third-party free

== cpu-microcode.py ==
                        driver   : intel-microcode - distro free
                        VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

forgot to add that the nvidia-390 driver is coming from this PPA added to /etc/apt/sources.list

#graphics drivers (nvidia)
                          deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ xenial main
                          VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm using the 390.12 driver which didn't change anything.

I mean it isn't terrible as when I boot up and log in and out and in the artifacts go away for that session. But it would be great to find the culprit so I don't have to do the dance.

Comment

I'm running the nvidia-378.13 driver for my GT650M chip and I have to do the dance as well.
                              I use Ctl+Alt+F2 at the login screen, log into the F2 terminal, run "sudo systemctl restart sddm" to get the login screen back, and then enter my password again (third time). I tried the 384 &387 nvidia drivers but they didn't help.

This Acer V3-771G laptop has two GPU's. The primary is an Intel 4000HD and the secondary is the NVidia GT 650M, which CANNOT be set as the primary in the BIOS. Several years ago I tried using Optimus and Bumblebee and got marginal to poor results. When I installed the 378.13 driver it made my GT650M the PRIMARY GPU on the desktop and all programs run using it. This is the first time I've had an accelerated video chip that worked the way it is supposed to. Minecraft, for example, gives me 90-120FPS under Intel but under the 650M I get between 300 - 500fps. With that kind of performance I'll put up with the additional 10 seconds it takes to get to the desktop.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X