This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
    I will try KDENEON again now that I have a newer desktop. OpenGL version 4.5.0. First I need to get my External USB3.0 698.6 Gib - Probably a little for the BTRFS. -, to mount properly. I tried to create a new liabrary for Steam, but steam says it's mounted as read only. I have to get that fixed first. Why can't I use kdesudo dolphin anymore? Kubuntu 17.10. I figure that would be an easy way to change the permissions.
    from the 17+ versions of dolphin you can no longer open it as root !

Krusader will.

IF you trying to change permissions to change the mounting as read only ,,,,that wont work .

it's the way something is mounted that determines ro or rw ,,,,read only or read write is it being mounted with a line in /etc/fstab (added by you) or by clicking it in dolphin ?

if it's on a BTRFS file system did you accidentally make the subvolume read only ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      from the 17+ versions of dolphin you can no longer open it as root !

Krusader will.

IF you trying to change permissions to change the mounting as read only ,,,,that wont work .

it's the way something is mounted that determines ro or rw ,,,,read only or read write is it being mounted with a line in /etc/fstab (added by you) or by clicking it in dolphin ?

if it's on a BTRFS file system did you accidentally make the subvolume read only ?

VINNY
      I made it using Kpartion manager. Just told it to make a BTRFS using the entire drive.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I made it using Kpartion manager. Just told it to make a BTRFS using the entire drive.
        AND ,,,,,how are you mounting it ?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

AND ,,,,,how are you mounting it ?

VINNY
          Fstab edited by kpartitionmanager

Code:
          UUID=3816f7dc-8fd8-4727-8169-d18824c2c02b	none	swap	sw	0	0
          UUID=28ac4e3f-d6ea-460c-ad2d-478e15f53357	/	btrfs	defaults,subvol=@	0	1
          UUID=28ac4e3f-d6ea-460c-ad2d-478e15f53357	/home	btrfs	defaults,subvol=@home	0	2
          [COLOR="#00FF00"]UUID=f7a96f19-7c3c-4afe-99fe-825a4c2df2b2	/mnt/Steam	btrfs	defaults	0	0[/COLOR]
          I changed the text color of the relevate code to green to make it stand out.
          Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

open a konsole and do
            Code:
            findmnt
            ,,,post the output.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

open a konsole and do
              Code:
              findmnt
              ,,,post the output.

VINNY
              Code:
              steve7233@steve7233-desktop:~$ findmnt
              TARGET                                SOURCE            FSTYPE     OPTIONS
              /                                     /dev/sda5[/@]     btrfs      rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=257,subvol=/@
              ├─/sys                                sysfs             sysfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
              │ ├─/sys/kernel/security              securityfs        securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
              │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup                    tmpfs             tmpfs      ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/unified          cgroup            cgroup2    rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/pids             cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/devices          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/memory           cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio            cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/rdma             cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct      cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb          cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb
              │ │ ├─/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset           cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset
              │ │ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event       cgroup            cgroup     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event
              │ ├─/sys/fs/pstore                    pstore            pstore     rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
              │ ├─/sys/kernel/debug                 debugfs           debugfs    rw,relatime
              │ ├─/sys/kernel/config                configfs          configfs   rw,relatime
              │ └─/sys/fs/fuse/connections          fusectl           fusectl    rw,relatime
              ├─/proc                               proc              proc       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
              │ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc          systemd-1         autofs     rw,relatime,fd=35,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=14498
              ├─/dev                                udev              devtmpfs   rw,nosuid,relatime,size=4025116k,nr_inodes=1006279,mode=755
              │ ├─/dev/pts                          devpts            devpts     rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000
              │ ├─/dev/shm                          tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev
              │ ├─/dev/mqueue                       mqueue            mqueue     rw,relatime
              │ └─/dev/hugepages                    hugetlbfs         hugetlbfs  rw,relatime,pagesize=2M
              ├─/run                                tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=811052k,mode=755                                                                                                                                                     
              │ ├─/run/lock                         tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k                                                                                                                                                          
              │ └─/run/user/1000                    tmpfs             tmpfs      rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=811052k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000                                                                                                                                    
              ├─/home                               /dev/sda5[/@home] btrfs      rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=258,subvol=/@home                                                                                                                                              
              └─/mnt/Steam                          /dev/sdb1         btrfs      rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/                                                                                                                                                         
              steve7233@steve7233-desktop:~$
              Attached Files
              Last edited by steve7233; Oct 29, 2017, 03:07 PM. Reason: Added screenshot.

Comment

OK then ,,,,,,
                Code:
                ls -la /mnt
                and
                Code:
                ls -la /mnt/Steam
                VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Code:
                  steve7233@steve7233-desktop:~$ ls -la /mnt                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                  total 16                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  10 Oct 28 21:41 .                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 266 Oct 28 21:40 ..                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   0 Oct 28 18:23 Steam                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
                  steve7233@steve7233-desktop:~$ ls -la /mnt/Steam                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                  total 16                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  0 Oct 28 18:23 .                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10 Oct 28 21:41 ..                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
                  steve7233@steve7233-desktop:~$

Comment

try
                    Code:
                    sudo chown steve7233:steve7233 /mnt/Steam
                    IF steve7233 is your user and group name .

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks vinny. Will this be permanent for rebooting?

Comment

Thanks vinny. Will this be permanent for rebooting?
                        yes ,,,if it worked .

did it ?

and if it did ,,,,then Steam was giving a misleading error message,,,,,,,"this drive is read only" ,,,,when it should have been ,,, "insufficient permissions to write to drive",,,the program/script could have been made to check for the cause of the failure to write to the drive and report accordingly.

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

yes ,,,if it worked .

did it ?

and if it did ,,,,then Steam was giving a misleading error message,,,,,,,"this drive is read only" ,,,,when it should have been ,,, "insufficient permissions to write to drive",,,the program/script could have been made to check for the cause of the failure to write to the drive and report accordingly.

VINNY
                          I noticed that too. Thus the screen shot.
                          It works now. I saved a bunch of games to it via Steam for Linux. Tomorrow I will get the hyperviser going and give KDENEON another try. I also have to virtulize Windows as I can't get wine to run the Quicken Deluxe 20017 installer.

Comment

got KDE frameworks 5.40 today .

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

well yesterday ,,,,,,,, plasma-5.12.0 instead of 5.11.95

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

well yesterday ,,,,,,,, plasma-5.12.0 instead of 5.11.95

VINNY
                                Well, that's crap. I'm using KDEneon User Edition and I'm still on 5.11.5...

...I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Oh, wait, it's free. DANGIT! Now who do I yell at?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X