This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next on the list of the 22.04 preview problems: autostart login scripts

It appears the autostart scripts here are not starting. I'm only using one at the moment, but here's how it's configured:

4 conky scripts launched by this executable script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

## Wait 10 seconds
    sleep 10

## Run conky
    conky -c $HOME/.conky/conkyrc_slow
    conky -c $HOME/.conky/conkyrc_fast
    conky -c $HOME/.conky/wun/wu_conkyrc1
    conky -c $HOME/.conky/wun2/wu_conkyrc1​
    A desktop file which executes that script:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Exec=/home/stuart/.conky/conky_start
    Icon=dialog-scripts
    Name=conky_start
    Path=
    Type=Application
    X-KDE-AutostartScript=true
    and the desktop file is called from: System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Autostart > Login Scripts

This has worked very well since the first version of KDEneon. It launches fine after log in.

Please Read Me

I see your comment in the Matrix channel. A few weeks ago, someone else seemed to have a similar thing, but my neoChat isn't wanting to scroll back that far yet it might, later.

I don't have any scripts, but not all my autostart items were working ootb initially. OpenRGB, ckb-next, and I think my PIS vpn client. At some point, either at some logout or reboot after I noticed, they started working again.
    I believe that this may be related to the jump in Systemd versions between 20.04 and 22.04, with Plasma 5.25 using this for startup tasks by default now, when the needed systemd version is available.

This can be disabled

Comment

Ok scroll-back finally happened:
      After the upgrade 22.04, some autostart applications and all autostart scripts do not launch on login. The only things that appear to successfully launch for me are Yakuake and MEGAsync. Dropbox and SendAnywhere fail, and all of my startup scripts fail. If I launch any of these failing startup items manually, they all launch just fine.
      These are all configured in System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Autostart.
      Here is an example of a type of script that would have run successfully on login in neon 20.04, but fails on login in neon 22.04:
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      dolphin &
      kate &
      kcalc &
      In neon 20.04, this script on login means the session starts with dolphin, kate and kcalc running. In 22.04, nothing happens, but if I add the following line at the end of the script:
      echo "Script works!" > ~/script-test.txt
      ...the "script-test.txt" file is created in my home folder, which means the script is actually running on startup, but the application calls are failing.
      If you remove the ampersands from the end of each line (which are there to run all three applications concurrently), then dolphin will launch successfully on startup. Once dolphin is closed, kate is then launched, then kcalc after kate is closed as you would expect with the ampersands gone.

Okay, after some research, I have discovered that the startup script/application issue is due to Plasma systemd boot, which is enabled in neon 22.04. If I turn it off, all of my autostart applications and scripts work perfectly again. (edited)
      So this may be the key fix here:

​For anybody wondering, you can turn off Plasma systemd boot with the following command:
      kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot false
      Last edited by claydoh; Sep 21, 2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

So, if anything it is a general bug in Plasma, not with the upgrade I think. Though I have not looked for any bug reports or looked for Arch users guinea pigs complaining.

Comment

Working...
        X