Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any special tricks for running virtualbox --Windows 7-- in KDE Neon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any special tricks for running virtualbox --Windows 7-- in KDE Neon?

I have installed Windows 7 64bit in a virtualbox. It installed ok, and runs but I can't install Guest Additions and there is only black screen behind the virtualbox window. The only way I can get back to Neon is to exit out of the Windows virtualbox. Also my VB startup window does not show "Devices" along the top with File and Machine, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	virtualbox.png
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	649199
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Did you install VB from the repository or from Oracle's site?
    It's been awhile since I used VB but the guest additions were necessary for the mouse to move seamlessly between the host and VB, and for adjusting screen size or allowing full screen, and for communicating with peripherals like USB, etc...

I also found that using the repository's version of VB worked better on both Kubuntu and Neon than downloading and installing Oracles version.

IF you are using Btrfs as your fs then be aware that using a dynamic db will corrupt btrfs and the db. You'll have to use ncow on your db file. https://tech.feedyourhead.at/content...blems-with-cow

While some reported that using nocow on VB db files slowed things down on Btrfs I did not experience such slowness.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am not using BTRFS. Interestingly enough, the tutorial I followed said to go to the Oracle site instead of the repositories. I have since created a virtual installation of another linux distro, and I can switch back and forth between Neon and the virtualbox with no problems, but the Windows VB blacks out everything outside of the actual VB window so I have no access to my main OS and no access to Guest Additions. Maybe tomorrow I will delete VB and reinstall from the repository.

Comment

If you haven't ever taken a look at Qemu/KVM for virtualization, you might want to check it out, assuming your CPU supports it. Finally (long after I needed it), someone has written a decent guide for setting it up. I run a Win 10 installation on a KVM guest under a Debian OS.

Part 1
        Part 2

Comment

Thanks dibl, I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
            If you haven't ever taken a look at Qemu/KVM for virtualization, you might want to check it out, assuming your CPU supports it. Finally (long after I needed it), someone has written a decent guide for setting it up. I run a Win 10 installation on a KVM guest under a Debian OS.

Part 1
            Part 2
            dibl, is there a key or command for releasing "capture" of the mouse or keyboard to the screen outside of the windows box?

Nevermind, I found it. This seems to fit the bill very nicely and much less of a PIA to install than Virtualbox. I can finally get my SONOS speakers working again from my laptop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snoopydance.gif
Views:	1
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	643536
            Last edited by SpecialEd; Jun 15, 2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
              This seems to fit the bill very nicely and much less of a PIA to install than Virtualbox.
              Plus, it's fully FOSS software.

Comment

Working...
              X