This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    As to the latter, yes. As to the former, it is my belief that this is so; I can't with 100% assurance so it is so.
    As a retired programmer who documented his own code (most of the time) I can say that once documentation is written it isn't always updated to reflect recent changes in code. Too busy, too tired, absent minded ... lot's of good excuses.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

dequire. I want to thank you for the advice on ucaresystem-core.

I had been getting three warnings/failures on kernel header files, in the last 36 hours. I ran autoremove and purge without effecting the errors when I ran update and dist-config.

ucaresystem-core found 1.3 Gb (as in Giga) files to be cleaned. It took about 15 minutes on my 32 bit system, but IT FIXED THE PROBLEMS!!!!!

Thank you!
      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Mar 22, 2017, 10:31 AM. Reason: spelnk eror
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

As to the latter, yes. As to the former, it is my belief that this is so; I can't with 100% assurance so it is so.
        You are probably right. Yesterday I noticed an entry in my menu system about chromium, a browser I purged months ago as part of my dump Google activity. I did a locate for chromium and while the binary was not present the entries in .cache and .config were. Ucaresystem-core missed them as well. I manually deleted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          As far as I can tell, there's no "simulate" option for the program which makes it dangerous in my opinion.
          Not having a --simulate option is not good IMO; I would want it. Absent that, then requiring user input: Yes, No; to each sections identified results would be desireable. I know that the script 'as written' is designed to not require user input, but I just don't like anything 'automatically and without my explicit permission' removing stuff from my system.

It is a script, so one could modify it to include these 'missing' options.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 22, 2017, 12:59 PM.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can agree on principal a 'simulate' option would be optimal, however I can attest (and the script clearly dictates) that the commands run are pretty innocuous. When I run 'sudo apt full-upgrade' I never simulate it first, which to me would seem unnecessary. As I said earlier, I've run this program literally hundreds of times and have never been left wishing for that option. However, on principal alone, I could see your point. Since I use the program so much, I'll file the suggestion with the author.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              You are probably right. Yesterday I noticed an entry in my menu system about chromium, a browser I purged months ago as part of my dump Google activity. I did a locate for chromium and while the binary was not present the entries in .cache and .config were. Ucaresystem-core missed them as well. I manually deleted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Would have been interesting, as an exercise in system management, if running Bleachbit (as root) would have found and removed those config files.
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                I can agree on principal a 'simulate' option would be optimal, however I can attest (and the script clearly dictates) that the commands run are pretty innocuous. When I run 'sudo apt full-upgrade' I never simulate it first, which to me would seem unnecessary. As I said earlier, I've run this program literally hundreds of times and have never been left wishing for that option. However, on principal alone, I could see your point. Since I use the program so much, I'll file the suggestion with the author.
                and maybe you're right, it might not be needed.

Might not even be possible given all the commands it runs. I should report the "Steam" error I experienced, but I doubt I could replicate it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Not having a --simulate option is not good IMO; I would want it. Absent that, then requiring user input: Yes, No; to each sections identified results would be desireable. I know that the script 'as written' is designed to not require user input, but I just don't like anything 'automatically and without my explicit permission' removing stuff from my system.

It is a script, so one could modify it to include these 'missing' options.
                  Maybe an "attended" option that inserts y/n prompts in between each stage?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                    It's invaluable to me when doing an update AFTER a re-boot from upgrading to a new release and making sure my sources are updated to reflect the new version. Pretty impressive how much leftover stuff I find. I use it so much, I don't bother with 'apt update && apt full-upgrade' anymore. oshunluvr's issue aside, I find it invaluable and am grateful for the author making it.
                    I am planning to use this. Do I need simply run the script? Or is there one with a graphical user interface? Any precaution steps?
                    Thanks

Comment

No GUI, just run it from the terminal. No options either. Just launch and hold your breath!

Please Read Me

Comment

Installed uCareSystem Core v3.0 on my HP laptop (it isn't my "primary" PC anymore so I'm not worried if unintended consequences ensue).

I had to run the script five or six times before it no longer identified any 'unused config files'. So deborphan -n --find-config doesn't seem to find everything the first time through. I say that because no additional packages were purged during each of the subsequent runs of this script. But the script does work, and my HP still boots.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There is not much to ucaresystem-core. It is just an executable bash script. All the commands I've marked in red.

The only place I'd change the code is where it purges old kernels. I'd put that command inside the IF test.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
                          #
                          #
                          #_______________________________________________
                          #THIS IS THE Terminal Version of uCareSystem
                          #_______________________________________________
                          # Name : uCareSystem Core
                          # Licence: GPL3 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)
                          # Author : Salih Emin
                          # WebSite: http://utappia.org
                          # Email : salihemin-(at)-about.me
                          # Date : 16-03-2016 (first release 19-02-2009)
                          # Version: 3.0 (based on the obsolete 2ClickUpdate Core v6.0)
                          # System : Debian Linux and Ubuntu Linux
                          # Description:
                          #This simple script will automatically refresh your package list, download and install
                          #updates (if there are any),
                          #remove any remaining packages and configuration files without interference.
                          #
                          ## Script starts here

# Checking if the user has run the script with "sudo" or not
                          if [ $EUID -ne 0 ] ; then
                          clear
                          echo ""
                          echo "uCareSystem Core must be run as root. Now I will just exit..." 1>&2
                          echo ""
                          sleep 2
                          exit 1
                          fi

clear
                          echo "_________________________________________________ ______"
                          echo " "
                          echo " uCareSystem Core v3.0 "
                          echo " ~ '' ~ "
                          echo " "
                          echo " Welcome to all-in-one System Update and maintenance "
                          echo " assistant app. "
                          echo " "
                          echo " "
                          echo " This simple script will automatically "
                          echo " refresh your packagelist, download and "
                          echo " install updates (if there are any), remove any old "
                          echo " kernels, obsolete packages and configuration files "
                          echo " to free up disk space, without any need of user "
                          echo " interference. "
                          echo "_________________________________________________ ______"
                          echo
                          echo " uCareSystem Core will start in 5 seconds... "

sleep 6

echo "#########################"
                          echo " Started"
                          echo

## Updates package lists
                          sudo apt update;
                          echo
                          echo "###############################"
                          echo "Finished updating package lists"
                          echo "###############################"
                          sleep 1

## Updates packages and libraries
                          sudo apt -y full-upgrade;
                          echo
                          echo "############################################# ##"
                          echo "Finished updating packages and system libraries"
                          echo "############################################# ##"
                          sleep 1
                          echo

## Removes unneeded packages
                          sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove;
                          echo
                          echo "###################################"
                          echo "Finished removing unneeded packages"
                          sleep 1
                          echo

# purge-old-kernels - remove old kernel packages
                          # Copyright (C) 2012 Dustin Kirkland <kirkland -(at)- ubuntu.com>
                          #
                          # Authors: Dustin Kirkland <kirkland-(at)-ubuntu.com>
                          # Kees Cook <kees-(at)-ubuntu.com>
                          #
                          # NOTE: This script will ALWAYS keep the currently running kernel
                          # NOTE: Default is to keep 2 more, user overrides with --keep N
                          KEEP=2
                          # NOTE: Any unrecognized option will be passed straight through to apt
                          APT_OPTS=
                          while [ ! -z "$1" ]; do
                          case "$1" in
                          --keep)
                          # User specified the number of kernels to keep
                          KEEP="$2"
                          shift 2
                          ;;
                          *)
                          APT_OPTS="$APT_OPTS $1"
                          shift 1
                          ;;
                          esac
                          done

# Build our list of kernel packages to purge
                          CANDIDATES=$(ls -tr /boot/vmlinuz-* | head -n -${KEEP} | grep -v "$(uname -r)$" | cut -d- -f2- | awk '{print "linux-image-" $0 " linux-headers-" $0}' )
                          for c in $CANDIDATES; do
                          dpkg-query -s "$c" >/dev/null 2>&1 && PURGE="$PURGE $c"
                          done

if [ -z "$PURGE" ]; then
                          echo "No kernels are eligible for removal"
                          fi

sudo apt $APT_OPTS remove -y --purge $PURGE;

echo
                          echo "Finished removing old kernels"
                          sleep 1
                          echo
                          ## Removes unused config files
                          sudo deborphan -n --find-config | xargs sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove;
                          echo
                          echo "#####################################"
                          echo "Finished removing unused config files"
                          echo "#####################################"
                          sleep 1
                          echo

## Removes package files that can no longer be downloaded and everything except
                          # the lock file in /var/cache/apt/archives, including directories.
                          sudo apt-get -y autoclean; sudo apt-get -y clean;
                          echo

echo "######################################"
                          echo " Cleaned downloaded temporary packages"
                          echo "######################################"
                          echo

sleep 2
                          echo " Done"
                          ## End of script
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 22, 2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X