This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Unplugging External monitor still sometimes causing problems

On 14.04 I have a rock-solid experience switching between single and multi-monitor modes (plugging in and yanking out that external monitor)

On 16.04 It was absolutely useless - things move around, things disappear off the screen, things become non-responsive, and so on. Basically not usable, 99% of the time (Surprisingly enough once in a while it works correctly... But seldom, I have not been able to determine a pattern and I basically prepare to reboot when I plug in or unplug the external monitor)

With KDE Neon it is MUCH better.

At least 50% of the time everything works as expected. I'd say 75% of the time.

The other times the only thing that seems to misbehave is the darned panel at the bottom of the built-in LCD (I'm working on a laptop).

I think the pattern is:
    When the external monitor is to the left and above the built-in (always present) monitor, when disconnecting the external monitor, the panel sometimes disappears.

Further more, When the external panel disappears, it seems that I can get it back by plugging the external monitor back in, where it then appears at the bottom of the external monitor.

My gut-feeling is that the panel wants to be on the left-most monitor.... So if the external monitor is on the right it works fine.

Occasionally the panel disappears but maximized apps still won't use that part of the screen. This happens sometimes when unplugging the external monitor.

Connecting the external monitor doesn't seem to have any immediate or obvious adverse effects or problems.

this is a known problem ,,,,,,,and is being worked on by the new "kscreen" maintainer.

who has sead it should be good by plasma 5.8 ,,,,,,,,which is why you are seeing better performance in Neon ,,,,,,you run packages closer to 5.8

look @hear http://vizzzion.org/blog/2016/08/mul...and-debugging/

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
    X