Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are no rules as such, just a general understanding of what a distribution is ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution )

The project itself says its not a distro, on numerous occasions ( https://neon.kde.org/faq ).

Is this "the KDE distro"?

Nope. KDE believes it is important to work with many distributions, as each brings unique value and expertise for their respective users. This is one project out of hundreds from KDE.
    Is it a rolling distro?

Not quite, it's a package archive with the latest KDE software on top of a stable base. Unlike rolling distros only the KDE software will be updated continuously.
    I don't understand why certain people are so keen to label it as such! They are only concerned about providing the software required to allow the latest KDE software to run, on top of Ubuntu LTS.
    Last edited by Guest; Aug 29, 2016, 05:38 AM.

Comment

WEll, the question is now "What distribution am I running"?

Comment

Originally posted by Tahaan View Post
        WEll, the question is now "What distribution am I running"?
        Ubuntu.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

You are running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with KDE Neon repositories enabled on top.

Comment

Well, it might not be techniclally considered a "distro" - But it is listed on Distrowatch.com - So there's that.

PS - Neon just rocks.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I found this: http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09517

Comment

You mean this:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160830_164021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	643288

I have it running on qemu/kvm (virt-manager and qemu-system and everything they haul in).
                Great distro. Great vm.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Maui has been good to me so far!

Comment

Netrunner based on KDE Neon article.
                    woodsmoke

Comment

So, some of us here are not the only runs running Neon on top of Kubuntu 16.04.
                      I got curious about Maui1 and installed it as a guest OS under Virt-Manager (my new, goto VM machine!)

It is VERY well polished and very beautiful. Runs just like my Kubuntu 16.04 + Neon setup. I think I'll hijack some of the beach scenes and fish photos and use them in my KNeon.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

But, unfortunately, even there are literally dozens of updates per week, to Akonadai, there are still problems with Kmail.

And, curiously the whole Akonadai setup of e-mail stuff is now hidden in the overall setup, there is no obvious link to Akonadai, etc.

Gmail akonadai that used to be there is gone.

But, Kontact itself is very polished.

Bluetooth integration with a Jam Classic type speaker works with a couple of clicks, now the problem is in the music app, like VLC has a whole thing about configuring VLC but it doesn't actually connect to the speaker. One has to go to ANOTHER menu item, "audio" and find the device part and, suddenly, THERE is the place where one actually enables the speaker.

So, I think that it is moving at "fits and starts" because it being developed SO RAPIDLY.

just a few thoughts
                        woodsmoke
                        woodsmoke

Comment

mmm... I am using KMail exclusively and it is working great for me. I have cryptography enabled and active, my filters work great. The only nit I see is that when I delete a series of emails the last one leaves either the header or the body behind, depending on which had the focus when I deleted it. But either just changing folders or closing KMail and opening it later resolves the artifact.

Comment

Working...
                          X