Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play DVD ISO files directly from Dolphin using VLC.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play DVD ISO files directly from Dolphin using VLC.

Install the best (IMO) video player, VLC:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install vlc

Among it's many uses, VLC will play DVDs directly from the drive or from an ISO. However, if you right-click on a DVD ISO in Dolphin it crashes while loading the menu. This is not a VLC problem, it is a problem with the way Dolphin passes the info to VLC. The way to get VLC to play an ISO file is to launch it from the command line with;

vlc dvd://path-to-iso

Obviously, this is less than optimal, but easily fixed.

If you want VLC to play ISOs directly from Dolphin:
    Open Kmenuedit.
    Locate VLC (under Multimedia), copy and then paste the VLC entry so you have two VLC entries.
    Rename the new entry to "VLC DVD Player" (or whatever you want).
    Edit it and change the "command" entry from "/usr/bin/vlc %U" to "/usr/bin/vlc dvd:/%U" and save.
    Open Dolphin and right click on a DVD ISO and then "Properties."
    Click on the File Type Properties icon (usually a wrench or gear depending on your theme, it's to the far right of "Type: raw CD image").
    Under Application Preference Order, click "Add..." and select "VLC DVD Player" from the menu.
    To make this the default selection for an ISO, move it to the top of the list.
    Save, and you're done.

From now on, when you right-click on an ISO file, VLC will be an option and will work correctly. If you made it the top choice in the list, it will work with a left-click.

Reasoning for this How-To:
    One of the primary things I do with my PC is archive my DVD's into videos so I can play them on my media player attached to my TV without digging out the disc. BTW: This is a great way to prevent your kids from damaging your expensive video equipment and scratching their DVDs.

Somehow, while reading the manual to my media player (yeah, sure I did ) I missed but recently discovered by accident that it will play complete ISOs as well as regular media files. So now, if I want a complete DVD with all the menus I make an ISO file of it. If I just want the movie, I rip just the video.

Please Read Me
Working...
X