X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LO outline, embed video problem pptx, KO to LO

This will only be of use to someone who needs

PLEASE SEE EDIT AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST CONCERNING CALLIGRA.

a) to interact with MS systems at work or school and who has a specific need to produce the "outline".
    b) wants to move files between KO and LO and MS in presentations.

The whole thing about the relationship between MS ppt and OO presentation and LO presentation was historically in a state of flux and still is, mainly because of the evil machinations of MS.

So, depending upon which version of the above one has used, or is using, things acted in different, and sometimes unexpected ways.

One of the great selling points, to me, of the old, original ppt was that it produced a workable, copyable text outline. Various iterations of it have not or do not.

OO never really worked well on the outline thing, but LO does a marvellous job of producing a text outline which is copyable to writer.

I, personally, MUCH prefer the outline form as opposed to the whole jillions of boxes of thumbnails of a ppt, because of the enormous wastage of trees. If we would all actually just go to digital then the boxes would be great.

However, be that as it may

A) Libre Office now produces a fine outline.
    B) IF one is using an original file that has not been corrupted by MS because it "said" FALSLY, that there was a problem and it had to replace some slides with blank slides, then if one opens an original ppt file one can save as .odp and the text of the slides will be available in the outline.

C) However, depending on the iteration of the two applications and whether MS mussed one up, one can get some text or no text.

D) SAVING AS PPT and RETAINING THE TEXT so that one can do the outline.

When working IN LO.....ONE MUST.....that is MUST....always use one of the templates in which to place text and the PLACE THE TEXT INTO A PROVIDED BOX....

If one just clicks the text button, and places text randomly, quite often/usually, the text will not be in the outline.

For moi, since I place linkys to anything that I harvest from the net on a slide, I do precisely that, I place the linky using the T button function and none of them appear in the outline.

If one wants to provide the linkys in the outline one can paste the linky into a provided text box, in the template box, or place them all in a file at the end.

If one does that then one can save as an .odp and also as a .doc and the text will be in both of the apps outlines.

Some/many times, the text will NOT be in the outline if one saves as pptx. This is not LO's fault it is a thing that MS does to keep people in the fold.

E) Video Insertion problem with LO .pptx but can be done with .ppt

i) One CAN play a video in odp and it will save and later play in odp.
    ii) One CANNOT play a video in odp and then save as .pptx because it then is compressed to the first slide in the animated .gif or the a video such as .avi or wmv will just stall... : 0
    iii) One CAN save as a .ppt, then, it will, indeed play.

Quite simply, as of now, LO will not allow one to insert a video in ANY format, that is MPEG, WMV, FLV, animated GIF, nothing, and save as .pptx simple as that,

The below link from OO says that they cannot be embeded and must be linked.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/...p?f=10&t=44180

I very pointedly asked the question at LO and got no response.

http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/3915

So.....if one has to use an LO file as a .pptx then one can only do a link and hope that MS media player does it's job. Otherwise, take the video as a separate file and stop the presentation and play the video.

But the SIMPLE answer:

iv) save as a .ppt and put it on a PHYSICAL CD OR DVD, NOT....NOT a pen drive.

Placing in an non-alterable medium will not allow MS at work or school to change the file.

MS will START to say that it is a corrupted file, but it will go ahead and play it because it cannot get AT the file to alter it. And the video will also play.

F) How to go from Kpresenter to LO to MS.

NOTE: Callligra may work differently.

Do ONLY the text in Kpresenter. AND, get it formatted very simply, in the template boxes, without a lot of added on frou frou.

This will mean...OUCH!! thinking ahead, but it will save a LOT of problems.

Save to LO or open in LO and THEN..... do any frou frou formatting and insertion of pictures.

Then save, if need be, to ppt or pptx, or to odp.

BE WARNED that going BACKWARDS will just produce gobbeldygook. Some stuff will be just fine, and some will not. So don't give yourself the grief.

If anyone has questions please comment.

NOTE: if things change in any way I will come back to either comment further or to change the post: this post as of 13 August 2012.

EDIT TO POST as of 16 August 2012

Calligra now will open a .ppt with no problems concerning formatting, etc. However, it flattens any .gifs, which, considering what happens with other apps does not seem to be THAT much of a to do.

Calligra will open a .pptx but there are some small formatting things, in that a bullet "dot" will render as a verticl clear bar.

Calligra does not export as .ppt or .pptx, but I see absolutely no problem with that in that I think that it is "fair game" to open a .ppt or .pptx since the world revolves around .ppt and .pptx, but in keeping with the goals and philosophy of Calligra it would not seem to be "fair game" to save such.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 15, 2012, 11:49 PM.

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    iv) save as a .ppt and put it on a PHYSICAL CD OR DVD, NOT....NOT a pen drive.

Placing in an non-alterable medium will not allow MS at work or school to change the file.

MS will START to say that it is a corrupted file, but it will go ahead and play it because it cannot get AT the file to alter it. And the video will also play.
    I'd imagine that marking the file as read-only would accomplish the same thing, and thus avoid the hassle of buring to optical media.

Comment

welll, I tried that, but MS complained mightily. It kept "throwing" warnings about it being a corrupt file.

But, it is a good idea that does work with the above caveat.

woodsmoke

Comment

Edit to first post concerning calligra

Please see my edit, as of this date, at the bottom of my first post concerning Calligra.
        woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X