This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How-to: fixing: failed to retrieve resource Kcalendar Kontact

The number of posts on this situation litter the lands of Linuxdom like the scattered leaves of fall. And the number of fixes for the "bug" are .... well....non-existent.

I got the hint for it at a discussion where a guy was discussing the Kcalendar not being able to hook to a local calendar and bingo!

It is not a bug!

Now, I am sure that someone will post a link to the same fix, and that I just didn't find it, but I actually added a second way to do "the fix" if there is one out there.

The simple thing is that Akonadi does not DO anything except "coordinate" things between gmail/kmail or gcalendar/kcalendar, gcontacts/kcontats or other clients(I just have not done them).

What happening is this.

It is NOT "Kcalendar - akonadi - gcalendar" that is causing the error message.

It is.......the Akonadi "local mail resource".

That is the first thing that akonadi does, automagically, for one when one sets up akonadi. It automagically appears in Kontact/Kcalendar.

But....the user has to POINT the thing at a "local" calendar. And, if one has not actually MADE a local calendar then akonadi reports that there "was a failure to retrieve the resource" because there was.... no resource to retrieve!

There are two ways to fix it, GIVEN that one has correctly setup the relationship with google and the simple test of that is whether, or not, one is able to retrieve google mail. If that happens then the system is "handshaking" with google.

So...the fixes:

a) i) make a local calendar and save it. It "should" be in the default place for Akonadi to find it if not navigate to it from Akonadi(see below).
    a) ii) download an "ical" from Google calendar, or any other calendar, and place it in a convenient location then go to system settings/personal settings/akonadi resources, highlight "local calendar" / edit and one will get a drop down to navigate to the local calendar and open and that is it.

b) Woodsmoke's fix if one does not "do" local calendar. Click the local calendar in akonadi resources and then tick remove.

One does not need to restart the machine.

Works, simple as that.

if anyone has questions please ask.

woodsmoke

NOTE: One can do this from within Kontact but I find that method to be cumbersome.

NOTE: Akonadi cannot work with Yahoo anything unless one has the premium account at Yahoo.
Working...
X