This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to migrate Windows Outlook Express Settings to Thunderbird in Linux

Ran across a little challenge this morning setting up a client who I have convinced to switch to Linux. She wanted her address book in Outlook Express imported into Thunderbird on Linux. The problem is, Outlook Express only allows exporting to to a .mab file whatever that is. Thunderbird will not import this file format. The solution was easy. Install Thunderbird in Windows, which will automatically import all of the Outlook Express settings, accounts, and address books on first start. Once imported, you can then export the address book in Thunderbird in Windows to a LDIF file which Thunderbird in Linux imports perfectly. This probably works in Kontact and Kmail also but I have not tried it.

Re: How to migrate Windows Outlook Express Settings to Thunderbird in Linux

Very nice workaround!

I would've guessed that Outlook Express would have other export options, even something as basic as a comma-delimited text file, but I guess M$ likes keeping things as proprietary as possible.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Slick, Detonate -- very slick!

Comment

Now if the college would only let me install Tbird for about a half hour.

woodsmoke

Comment

Hmm, OK let's figure out a workaround for that. Do you have a personal computer with a Windows OS? Then go ahead and export the .mab file and move it to your computer. Open Outlook express and import the address book. Then install TB and import the OE address book. The export the TB address book to a LDIF file. Move that to the Linux computer and import. where there is a will there is a way.

Comment

Working...
          X