This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop-box, Nautilus and updating an iPod4 touch

When the last 4.x iOS was released by Apple I fired up my WinXP VM, plugged in my iPod4 Touch to the USB port, and let iTunes do its thing. No problem. It's the only justification I have for keeping XP around, even as a VM.

Yesterday, I got an email saying the iOS 5.0 was available. I fired up my XP VM, plugged my iPod4 into the USB port and let iTunes do its thing. PLENTY OF PROBLEMS. I tried four times, and each time it would die with a 1602 error, which is a "problem with the USB port".

I noticed that the GTK+ iPod app kept popping up in the background, hidden by the foreground VM display and the VB app UI. And, Nautilus kept popping up too. I noticed their icons on the panel.

Between my 4.x upgrade and yesterday I had installed a Drop-box connection, which required that Nautilus be installed. Nautilus has been a perpetual pain in my side every since but because of Drop-box I ignored its constant interference every time I plugged in a USB stick or put a CD in the CDROM. Yesterday was the last straw. I uninstalled both iPod and Nautilus, and their libraries and services. iTunes had no problem upgrading my iPod4 on the fifth try.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Drop-box, Nautilus and updating an iPod4 touch

Why do you need Nautilus for Dropbox? It should work with every file manager, it just may lack certain features, but I'm sure that can be hacked.
    "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Because DropBox requires it for Ubuntu based releases IF you want the files dropped into DropBox to appear automatically in a local folder. I've removed Nautilus and now I just use FF to download new files from DropBox. Ubuntu One, on the other hand, works seamlessly with the "Ubuntu One" gui that Canonical supplies, just the way DropBox used to work, with Nautilus. If I drop a file into my local "Ubuntu One" folder it appears in the Ubuntu One cloud within a few minutes, and visa-versa.

It might possibly be hackable, but that's not something I want to do. Those kind of mods have to be redone every time there is a upgrade to the associated libraries or to a distro, and I am not into that stuff any more, since I retired.

(Strange ... I never thought it would turn out to be as easy to drop coding as it has been, seeing that I was addicted to coding since 1978. But with bit rot all things are possible )
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

This is just one.

I think there may even be a ppa for dropbox kubuntu. Anyway

I don't use either KDE nor Dropbox at the moment, so I can't help you with testing.
        "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Very nice, de_koraco!!! 8)
          Thanks for the heads up. You saved me a lot of search, trial and errors.

I downloaded the kfilebox deb package and used GDbi to install it. It automatically linked up with my DropBox account and put an icon (Identical to the Nautilus icon) in my system tray. It then proceeded to update the files in my local directory with the new items on my DropBox account.

Especially important is that this tool does NOT interfere with my USB behavior, which Nautilus did.

I haven't tried it with iTunes and my iPod yet, but I rarely use iPod anyway and it will probably be and several months before the iOS is upgraded again.

Comment

Well, there had to be something to free the people from the worst file manager in history. Even Windows Explorer is better. I love it when Nautilus starts copying stuff from USB and then decides that transferring 5 GB worth of data is gonna take 20 minutes.

Comment

Working...
            X