X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How-to: Kontact Contacts g-mail contacts import export Akonadi comment

Contacts Kcalendar import and export to g-mail contacts and Akonadi

There are two parts to this post, a) contact import from gmail and b) results of trying to run Akonadi.

a) Contacts import from g-contacts.

This was relatively "trivial".
    Go to g-mail and go to contacts, there will be several groupings of them. A requestor box will ask to make a "my contacts" if you have not already done so. Whichever happens, export them in a "google csv" format.

You will be presented with a VERY wide box that has the contacts in it and the very wide box has a bunch of lables that are "unassigned" at the top of each column.

Try out the drop down menu, it goes UP and DOWN. and assign some terms to various columns for which you have information from g-mail contacts such as family name, nickname, telephone, e-mail addy etc. and save.

Export.

Only the columns which had information in them and for which you picked a label are exported.

It "exported" for me to "downloads" on the machine, I did not have to e-mail them or anything.
    Go to Kontact and contacts and import, it is about as simple as that.

I added a couple of non-existent people to Kontact contacts and exported, it save to documents and imported them into g-mail.

You "may" have to fiddle with labels, depending on the information you provide for the people.

b) Results of trying to run Akonadi.

I installed Akonadi from the standard repo for Kubuntu/Trinity/Lucid.

I see no menu item for Akonadi.

I see in usr/bin the following:

akonadictl
    akonadi_gcal_resource
    adonadi_googledata_resource
    akonadi server

I clicked each in turn and nothing happened.

There was a thread from Snowhog about haveing to manually start Akonadi and then later after a reboot it started when he opened Kontact.

I attempted that, a reboot and to get it running by opening Kontact and Calendar and Contacts with no result.

There were other threads about how it "ate" the contacts. This did not happen, the contacts are still there.

However, it appears that Akonadi is, for my situation, non-functional. Unless someone can provide good info on what to do so that I have a reasonable chance of success and not having Akonadi or something "eat" something, then I think I'll let Akonadi go for the time being.

However, please rest assured that if someone does have suggestions that I will try them.

woodsmoke

Re: How-to: Kontact Contacts g-mail contacts import export Akonadi comment

EDITED by woodsmoke, information moved to a software support thread titled with Akonadi.
    woodsmoke

Comment

Re: How-to: Kontact Contacts g-mail contacts import export Akonadi comment

EDITED by woodsmoke, information moved to a software support thread titled with Akonadi.
      woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X