This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command line wifi

If you are having a problem getting connected with wifi here is the way to do it from the CLI bypassing any network manager that may be the source of your problem. Found this article on Linux Journal.

Wi-Fi on the Command Line

Re: Command line wifi

An even easier one, which I use when booting into a console, is to use wicd-curses. It doesn't bypass a "network manager", but it doesn't require the GUI DE and libraries and components be running.
    Photo attached.
    Attached Files
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ah, but if someone is having difficulty getting online, and does not have wicd-curses installed?

Comment

Ah .... that's why I prefer Wicd!

Does KnetworkManger include a curses version? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yes, I also prefer wicd and wicd-curses, but if a newbie is having trouble getting online, and has neither installed, the user must first get online to install them. That is why I posted a link to that "HowTo".

Comment

You're an optimist, Detonate!

I think a newbie would get lost trying to figure out where the 2.422 GHz comes from when the iwlist shows 2.462 Ghz. And, if another frequency is used what will they do?

But, you have a point, if they can't plug an Ethernet cable from the back of their wireless router to their PC to get a temporary connection they'll be hard pressed trying to connect via wireless if their wireless isn't recognized.

Comment

And of course, if they can't get online how are they going to read the howto?

BTW, Thanks to whoever fixed my original post to make the url entry correct.

Comment

Working...
              X