Installing LibreOffice

As you may have noticed Open Office has been )or will be) forked:
    http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/arti...k_ties_oracle/

You can get the debs here:
    http://download.documentfoundation.o...ffice/testing/

Download and unpack then run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    From a terminal open in the unpacked folder.

It installs to:
    /opt/libreoffice3/program/soffice

Looks a bit rough around the edges, but I am looking forward to playing with it a bit

Enjoy
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Installing LibreOffice

Pitiful name choice, that half-Spanish, half-English name sounds just plain awful

Why use Spanish in the first place for the name, why not use "FreeOffice" or something? Or if they must use Spanish for some retarded reason, why not at least make the entire name Spanish instead of some ugly Spanish-English mix-up? The current name sounds as if some illegal immigrant from Mexico came up with it. "Ay caramba, faciamos one name por office program. Este libre, how say the Americanos? ... fra... fru... fro... bah, este un office program libre, porquoi make name LibreOffice!"
    If the name is any indication for the quality, I better won't touch it.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

...it's still OpenOffice, but with new branding. I doubt the quality took a major nosedive after they changed a few .png's

Comment

Personally, I'm confused (nothing new about that).

What is going to be included with Maverick? Are we going to get Oo.o or LO? Should I start learning Koffice, until the dust settles?

Comment

Maverick is shipping with OO.o 3.2.1. In natty (11.04), OO.o will be replaced with LO.o, which is basically what OO.o 3.3 would have been. LO.o is just a continuation of OO.o with new branding, since Oracle holds the trademark to the OpenOffice.org brand name.

Comment

Except for the looks, I am liking it.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yuri, stop being racist and remember that libre comes from Latin liber (free) or from liber (book, influenced by Ancient Greek). No matter which sense you may like the best, both refer to basic characteristics of LibreOffice, it's free to distribute and take a look at the source code and it has a lot to do with books or documents (files / archives). Also remember that the entity behind this good piece of software is named the Document Foundation.
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
              Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

The following is just a little summary of the use of the term "Libre" in Linux/GNUdom and the more experienced "old hands" can probably safely skip it, it is intended for any completely new people to Linux who may be perusing the thread.

Libre in "Linux" or "GNULinux" actually seems to have a very special definition in that it means that any software that has the faintest whiff of "financial/proprietaryl" connection is removed from it.

In other words there are absolutely, as in absolutely absolutely, no pieces of code in it that any entity can say is "theirs" except that they wrote it.

So, it might be that the real point about the name LibreOffice is that it is a statement of philosophy and a statement that there is no non-compliant code.

There are a few, not many, Libre distros, one of the older being

gNewSense and one can see from this page that it has been around since 2006 at least.

Trisquel is a kind of new kid on the block and this is in their documentation:

Does Trisquel include proprietary software?

No, none whatsoever. If you find any part of the system not covered by a free license, let us know and we will replace or remove it.

Note in particular that no binary-only firmware for wireless cards or proprietary drivers for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards are included.
                So the folks that use and promote Libre software are kinda adamant about the term.

Here is another linky:

http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

It seems to me that I can remember some debates between Stallman and Torvalds, or maybe just interviews, where there was a lot of discussion about just what the word "free" meant, philosophically, legally, etc.

All very interesting.

woodsmoke

Comment

My biggest question is, where do we get automatic updates? Is there a repository?

Comment

There seems to be on here:
                    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/i...ce-ppa-ubuntu/

I'll be trying it out later.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

No 64 bit repository from that site. No problem, I'll just wait. Someone will get a ppa up and running soon.

Comment

I installed form the repo on my maverick and lucid.

kde integration works nicely and it starts very quickly (in contrast too ooo)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                        X