This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Xubuntu in many computers

I want to install Xubuntu 10.04 in about 30 computers. They all have CD drives, USB ports and LAN connection however there is virtually no Internet connection in the part of Nepal where I will do this. I would like the installs to include the apps and configurations that we use at the school where these are used. The machines range in configuration from Pentium III to some dual core machines.

What are your suggestions on doing this? I will have one fast Kubuntu 10.04 machine on the LAN. I will configure it prior to going to Nepal.

Should I consider:
    • Proxy Server
      FSArchiver (if so, can I use only one image to put in all the various machines?)

I appreciate any suggestions,

Ray

Re: Installing Xubuntu in many computers

I haven't faced the same problem, but this looks like a pretty good approach: http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

Make sure you verify the CD, and/or make a second copy.

Comment

Thanks, I am checking it out. Sounds exactly like what I need however the software date indicates that it has not been updated for several years.

Ray

Comment

That's cool, Dibl! 8)

It amazes me how many rabbits you pull out of your hat!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

It amazes me how many rabbits you pull out of your hat!
          Thanks! But -- full disclosure -- I learned about it from Snowhog some years back. I did notice that it's not been updated lately -- don't know for sure how well it will work, but it does not sound like a function that would be terribly picky about gcc versions and such. It may still work just fine.

Comment

I noticed that it is in the repository.

The man is three years old, but if AptonCD does what it is supposed to do without any hassles then ...
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

1 problem with aptoncd.........it gets it's packages from the /var/cache/apt/archives
              so if you've ever ran "sudo apt-get clean" the packages are gone........

but say if you set up 1 box anew and install every thing you knead and immediately run the apt on cd you may be good.

but even that will nead an installed system to add the added packages to I think.

I tried it once to try to reproduce my setup.......thats when I discovered wear it gets it's packages from .......I run "sudo apt-get clean" often .....so it didn't work.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                1 problem with aptoncd.........it gets it's packages from the /var/cache/apt/archives
                so if you've ever ran "sudo apt-get clean" the packages are gone........

but say if you set up 1 box anew and install every thing you knead and immediately run the apt on cd you may be good.

but even that will nead an installed system to add the added packages to I think.

I tried it once to try to reproduce my setup.......thats when I discovered wear it gets it's packages from .......I run "sudo apt-get clean" often .....so it didn't work.
                Exactly. Also aptoncd requires several dependencies of its own to run. You need internet to acquire these.
                Someone has said you can build your own package out of the "/var/cache/apt/archives" of your choice and run that on any other pc without internet. I have the same programs I want to install each time I re-install the testing distro. The package idea would be very handy. I do have some links saved and will try these in the future.
                Boot Info Script

Comment

This might help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...DCustomization

This suggests that so long as you know which packages you need you can add them to the installation cd.

Comment

If the hardware on all of the computers on which you will be installing your customized system is similar enough, the simplest solution would be to generate a single master cd (and then reproduce it). This can be done with a Remastersys disk. However, I fear that, in your case, the computer hardware may be different enough to rule this out, since you will not have access to a repository with device drivers for differently equipped computers. I would look at Remastersys, though, because you may be able to include enough drivers on a single disk to make this easy solution possible. Or, you could make two or three master CD's for different hardware configurations.

Comment

Knew I'd read something about this

Take a look here

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...ibution-665247

In addition to remastersys, there is the ubuntu customisation kit. I've read a magazine review on it some time back and it did quite well.

Comment

Thanks fellows. You have given me a lot to think about and some starting places. One concern I have with AptOnCD is based on prior experience. Each time I did a new install from the live CD I had to connect to the Internet to do a update before the "new" machine knew of any packages that could be added. This required a Internet connection. Another concern is that I want the updates that are available to the initial install. I assume these would not be available from the AptOnCD - but I need to check this out which I will do now as well as look at some of the other suggestions.

Additional thoughts are very welcome.

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

I tried the AptOnCD solution and find that unless one does an Update on the newly installed machine, any apps on the AptOnCD cd are not available. Does anyone know of a solution to this? Once an update is done, this looks like a fine solution.

Ray

Comment

Try a "simulate" or "download but don't install" option in place of a real update...

Comment

Sorry - I couldn't get very far with the above.

Will look into some of the other possible solutions.
                              Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X