This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Rumor Touch custom ring tone how-to

After some time playing around I finally managed to get a custom ringtone on my phone. There are some old instructions for Windows but they only pointed me in the right direction. I also do not have a data plan on my phone so messaging it to myself wasn't an option, nor would I trust an external website to load my ringtone.

Phone: LG Rumor Touch
    Service: Sprint

1.Install Audacity and faac:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install audacity faac
    2.Get music from CD. You need to rip the CD to a WAV file:
    a) In Kubuntu you can click on the audio CD on the left side for Dolphin or use audiocd:/ in the Konqueror address bar. Then just drag the audio file you want. Otherwise you will have to find a CD ripper, K3B will also rip individual files.

3.Open Audacity and then open the WAV file you ripped.

4.Start a new Audacity file and copy/paste the pieces you want in your ringtone. Edit the ringtone so it runs less than 30 seconds.

5.Export as WAV (Microsoft) signed 16bit PCM
    a) Audacity > File menu > Export

6.Convert WAV file to AAC using command prompt:
    a)You must use .m4a because it auto-configures faac with some reasonable settings.
    Code:
    faac -o wavefilename.wav myringtone.m4a

7.Change the file extension from m4a to 3g2 so the LG Rumor Touch will recognize it as a usable file.
    Code:
    mv myringtone.m4a myringtone.3g2
    8.Copy the myringtone.3g2 to the Sounds directory of your phone's MicroSD card.

9.Put the MicroSD card back in the phone.

10.Load the new ringtone. On the LG Rumor Touch:
    a) Home > Main Menu > Tools > Mass Storage > File Manager > Sounds > More button > Assign
    b) Pick your myringtone.3g2 > Incoming Calls > (the incoming call type you want)

11.Now your ringtone is set. You can now go to Home > Main Menu > Settings > Ringers > Incoming Calls and pick your new ringtone for multiple rings. The ringtone is located under Assigned Media and unfortunately has a seemingly random name like Video978572873341.3g2 but at least it works.

As a side note your phone will play .wav .mp3 .m4a .wma and I'm sure a few others but these are the ones I've personally tried.

Working...
X