This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64 bit

Canon MX320, MX330, MX860 printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64 bit.

Once I upgraded to Lucid 10.04 AMD64 I found that getting a Canon Pixma MX printer installed was not going to be easy. So I thought it help others if I posted my experience here. To pull this off you will need both the Debian package, (.deb), and the source package from either

Canon Europe:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010699.asp

Or

Canon Australia:
    http://www.canon.com.au/Support-Services

NOTE: The only reason to get the source is to access the ppd files. They are in the Debian package but it is a lot more work to walk newbies through unpacking the .deb.

Since there are errors in the source code it makes impossible to compile a driver. Therefore, you will need to install the 32bit Debian package and force the architecture, then add the correct printer driver from the ppd file in the source package. While these instructions worked for me there are a few assumption I make which mat affect your outcome. My MX860 has a wireless network connection. In other words I have no idea if this will or will not work on a USB attached printer. (If someone would be kind enough to post back if they get that configuration working that would be cool.) The other assumption is that the general reader is relatively new to Lunix and the command line interface. The commands were cut and pasted from my working kconsole, so they should work for anyone.

Here we go:
    1.Download the source and .deb packages from the Canon site

2.Open a system console

3.cd into the directory which contain the Canon packages

4.Unpack Debian package – sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/install.sh
    5.Unpack source package – sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-source-3.10-1.tar.gz
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-source-3.10-1.tar.gz
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cnbpname348.tbl
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cifmx320.conf
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cnb_3480.tbl
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/libs_bin/
    …
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjutil.c
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjutil.h
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjcups.h
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/getipc.c
    6.Change to the “packages” directory of the Debian package – cd cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ cd cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages
    7.Install the general driver – sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$ sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
     package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Selecting previously deselected package cnijfilter-common.
    (Reading database ... 118452 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cnijfilter-common (from cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cnijfilter-common (3.10-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$
    8.Install the MX printer series driver – sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    NOTE: The MX860 driver also works for the MX320 and MX330 printers
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$ sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
     package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Selecting previously deselected package cnijfilter-mx860series.
    (Reading database ... 118468 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cnijfilter-mx860series (from cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cnijfilter-mx860series (3.10-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$
    9.You will complete the remainder of the Canon MX320 MX330 MX860 printer setup using the System Settings GUI:
    NOTE: these instructions may get a little tedious for those with more experience, but indulge me as I am writing to the “newby”
    9.1.Access “System Setting” – Kickoff/Applications/Settings/System Settings
    9.2.Access “Printer Configuration” at the bottom of the window in the “Computer Administration” group
    9.3.Select “Printer Configuration”
    9.4.Select “New Network Printer” under the heading “Add New Printer” – Your printer will show up in the box on the left and right. Be patient it will take a little time to locate the printer . . .
    9.5.Once the window returns, you will see something like this cnijnet:/00-00-85-F2-F2-E4 in the box under the “Enter Device URI”. Next select “Forward”
    9.6.In the next window change the selection from “Select printer from database” to “Provide PPD file” which is located at the bottom of the page
    9.7.Once selected the box under it will active, select the “Browse” button to the right of the active box
    9.8.In the pursuing window navigate to the “ppd” directory within the source package directory, in this example it's here: /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-source-3.10/ppd and click on the appropriate ppd file – canonmx320.ppd canonmx330.ppd or canonmx860.ppd, then choose “Open”
    9.9.Next select “Forward” and print a test page.

If it prints, crack open your favorite beverage and celebrate!

This How-To is adapted by me from http://blog.fitzer.org/linux/canon-p...nux-verwenden/ and translated from German to English by Google Chrome.

Re: HOWTO: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64 bit

This is a very helpful article since my better half has the printer and I will be inheriting it in a short while.

The the only problem is that there is a chip in the thing that keeps one from using refilled cartridges! grrrr.

but it does have awesome output.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
    X