This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Setup your posts so they can be found easily in a KFN Search

This has been a 'problem' in KFN - how can you find all of your posts easily using the search function in KFN? The answer is "you can't - unless you set up your posts to be able to do so."

The key is to include in every post you make, something that is unique to you, and to you alone. Ideally, it should be something that doesn't detract from the post. I've developed a solution to this problem.

You'll notice in my signature line, that I'm a registered Linux and Kubuntu user, and that each has it's own unique number. The number isn't unique enough for this solution, but the full text is:

Linux User #446986
    Kubuntu User #15733

I've started to include Kubuntu User #15733 in my posts. But, I said that "it should be something that doesn't detract from the post." It isn't. So, you may ask, how can that be so?

Simple. This is what I'm now including in each post I make:

What? You missed it? Okay, here it is again, this time, between the brackets: []
    Huh? Still don't see it?

That's because there isn't anything to see, but the text is there.

I just add this any where in my posts. It's a non-functional hyperlink. Because there is no 'description', the hyperlink isn't visible in the displayed post, but it is within the post, and so, it can be searched for.

In this way, I can now search on "Kubuntu User #15733" (search with the quotes) and find each and every post I make that includes this string.

Any unique string can be used. You do have to remember to include it, but if you do, then locating any/all of your posts in KFN is simple. If only I had thought of this 'way back' when I first came to KFN. Oh well, better late than never.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: HOWTO: Setup your posts so they can be found easily in a KFN Search

That sounds good for you 10K posters :P
    But.
    What I want to know is how a dummy like me can find info I am looking for.
    Example.

If I enter How to search in the search box.
    KFN returns results for all posts with the words: How, to, together, top, stop, search, etc.

If I can search for only one word it seems better. Or try a search in google which returns stuff from Mandriva, Arch, Fedora, and other places. Sometimes from year 2001 or earlier.

Somewhere on this forum is probably a tutorial on how to search KFN but I don't know how to find it!
    :P Still love this forum anyway. You guys rock!

Thanks. Ken.
    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Just like in Google, if you want to search on a string of words - a phrase - just enclose them in "". Using your example:

"How to search"

And, if you had clicked on the Help link, and then clicked on the Searching link, you would be at Searching page with all the information you need.

Comment

Wow. There's a Help page. Far-Out!

I'll admit I don't use quotes much because it quite often finds nothing. May be my lousy choice of words. Will try that more often.

Thanks. Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken
          Wow. There's a Help page. Far-Out!
          Yeah. Go figure.

Comment

BTW, try using Google to search the forum. For me, it works better. To use Google to search a specific web site, such as this forum, merely add the term "site:kubuntuforums.net" to the end of your search string in Google. Without the quotes. This can be used on any site.

Comment

KubuntuForums.Net Search Engine for Konqueror

I've used this ever since I found it. I think now (I'm at work, so can't check to verify), that the KFN search engine is part of Konqueror now.

Comment

Detonate said:
                BTW, try using Google to search the forum. For me, it works better. To use Google to search a specific web site, such as this forum, merely add the term "site:kubuntuforums.net" to the end of your search string in Google. Without the quotes. This can be used on any site.
                Cool, works great. Before or after the search term.
                Thanks Detonate. You du bomb.

Snowhog said:
                I just add this any where in my posts. It's a non-functional hyperlink. Because there is no 'description', the hyperlink isn't visible in the displayed post, but it is within the post, and so, it can be searched for.
                That should work well when building a web page to see if it is being indexed by search engines.

I was going to be a smart-a$$ and ask Snowhog if you are going to edit all 9985 (and counting) posts to add that link but the number is in your signature.
                BTW I googled "Linux User #446986" and got 20500 results. Tisk, sigh.

Haven't figured out the KFN search thing in Konqueror yet but will read the "Help" page first.
                Got it. That works good too.

Thanks.
                Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken
                  Detonate said:
                  I was going to be a smart-a$$ and ask Snowhog if you are going to edit all 9985 (and counting) posts to add that link but the number is in your signature.
                  BTW I googled "Linux User #446986" and got 20500 results. Tisk, sigh.
                  While you can see your signature in posts, it isn't actually part of the post, so you can't search on it's contents. :P

"edit all" well, ...

KFN as a search engine in Konqueror is addressed in the link I provided. It isn't in the KFN Help page.

Comment

Working...
                  X