This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A small trouble shooting guide

Hii! I had umpteen issues ever since i migrated from windows to linux and I have always found someone or the other helping me out with it. I have compiled all that i came across with solutions which have helped me out. This could be useful for all those who are not linux wizards or experts. I am sure I will run into troubles again and will thus keep updating it . Would be great if others could keep updating this post too.

Case 1:- Mozilla does not open certain sites.. the name of the sites dont work but the ip addresses of the sites work... do the below(it is probably a dns issue.. get the dns settings from your internet providera and do the below:-)

1.DNS issues:-select your connection. if it is wired select etho and click edit. then go to IPv4 settings and choose manual from there u can set your dns servers
    2.type this in the terminal:- less /etc/resolv.conf that would show u your dns details(In my case i got only """# Generated by NetworkManager nameserver 192.168.1.1 /etc/resolv.conf (END)"""
    3.run the following command:sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf-bak
    ( the purpose of that command is to back up your previous revolve)
    4.then type kdesudo kate /etc/resolv.conf
    5.u have to replace the enteries in the text editor opened when u ran the kdesudo kate /etc/resov.conf command
    6.in my case after the changes it looks like this
    7.nameserver 203.145.184.13
    8.nameserver 203.145.184.32
    (N.b:- if something does not work , or something crashes and you want old things back .. just type this in terminal....sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf-bak /etc/resolv.conf)

(Thanks to bigbrovar(Kubuntu IRC) for solving this and mamarok(Kubuntu IRC) who helped me diagnose that i could run the site with the ip address)

However in my case when i rebooted , i saw that resolv.conf was reset to its last settings.. so if you happen to encounter the same.. do the below:-
    1. kdesudo kate /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
    2. uncomment the line prepend domain-name-servers <domain name server1>,<domain name server2>;
    3. save it and quit
    <domain name server 1> and <domain name server2> are the domain name servers that you want to use.

Case 2:- after upgrading KDE from the repository.. all you get is a black screen,... dont worry.. just press alt+F2 .and type "plasma-desktop".. if it does not work, type terminal in alt+f2 and do the below:-

1.type plasma-desktop(in terminal)
    2.most probably it will say" "the program plasma-desktop" is currently not installed. You can install this by typing sudoaptget install kdebase-workspace-bin"..dont do anything yet
    3. first do sudo dpkg --configure -a (that configures everything that is not configured. it looks like the update didn't finish properly)
    4.if nothing changes do the below:-
    5. do sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, see what it says.. in my case it said...it says the the folowing extra packages will be installed kdebase-workspace plasma-dektop
    6.go ahead with sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.. give yes.. and when that is over you still wont have your plasma desktop there(fire up alt+f2 - and type plasma-desktop).. most likely things wil be in place and you will have two panels at the bottom.. just remove one of them and enjoy
    7.just to be safe, do this before restarting: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    (Thanks to iconmefisto(Kubuntu IRC))

Case 3:-ark does not oepn rar files.. first install kubuntu restricted extras by doing this ...sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras...
    1. after that..sudo apt-get install p7zip-rar unrar(You'll need to enable the multiverse repository in Software Sources if you haven't already)
    2. now try by just right-clicking on the .rar file -> Extract to.(believe me it should be in place)
    (Thanks to contrast(Kubuntu IRC))

Case 4:You get the following notification:-KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
    check the below conditions first :

1.you have only KDE installed on your system and you have not installed pulseaudio on your system.
    and then do:
    1.rm $HOME/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc, then restart KDE again.
    (you will be free of error messages)

(thanks to MamarokKubuntu IRC))

Case 5: neither the software center , nor apt-get upgrade works...
    go to the the software sources and change the mirror.
    (thanks philinux(ubuntu forums))

Case6:After a fresh install , when you run youtube get no sound, the videos are working perfect, but no sound, (sound is working perfect in amarok and dragon player and other players)
    1.go to your volume manager and select the mixer. and try to increase pcm slider.. if it does not work even now.. try sliding it up and down once more.. most probably it will work
    (thanks bigbrovar(Kubuntu IRC))

case7:lost your login password:
    have a look here :http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword(perfect explanation)
    (thanks sisco311(ubuntu forums))

Re: A small trouble shooting guide

Thanks for the tips vivek40,

For your info the solution posted in Case 4 does not appear to be a permanent fix - at least on my system - as the problem keeps coming back.

Nick
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
    X